When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Make a wafer lock key

-

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
I've got a Monark Silver King with a perfectly good lock. It isn't to hard to pick, but not so easy to make a key. These locks have humps and valleys like pin locks, but each opposing hump and valley control a single wafer.
image.jpeg

The wafers have windows that are not all centered. As the key goes in the wafers find the humps and valleys until all the tops and bottoms of the wafers line up.
image.jpeg

The tabs on the wafers ride in the slot when locked.
image.jpeg

If this cylinder were in the housing, it would be locked.
image.jpeg

Here's where I had trouble. Each window is exactly the same size, but in a different location. And, each pair of humps and valleys is the same exact size. This means that to insert the key, the upper and lower set of cuts must be made, but where?
image.jpeg

I made half keys to allow the key to enter the window. A top one shows the upper shape of the key.
image.jpeg

A bottom one shows the lower shape of the key.
image.jpeg

All that remains is to file the key blank to follow the shape of the wafer wave!
Sounds like an airheaded parade participant greeting the crowd.
image.jpeg
Here's the finished key. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Back