When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making 1941 Tall Tank Western Flyer Old Again

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

bairdco

I live for the CABE
I threatened to give it the bairdco treatment if no one bought it, so...

Sandblasted it all pretty.

20160518_095917.jpg

Then I painted it, went back in time and left it outside for 75 years.

20160518_135855.jpg

20160518_135746.jpg

20160518_135943.jpg

It looks way worse, err, better, in person. My phone camera is getting dull.

Took me 5 hours, from bare frame to old timey.

Used hydrogen peroxide and salt on the bare metal, painted it Rustoleum "colonial red" while it was still wet with the peroxide, painted the darts on with ivory over black while it was still tacky.

Then when it was mostly dry, layed strips of masking tape over the paint and ripped it off, taking chunks of paint with it.

Another spray down with hydrogen peroxide and salt (awesome to watch rust form in seconds,) hosed it off and let it dry.

I've been looking for a crusty rider for a while, but figured I'd just make one myself.

Fenders and the rest are waiting their turn.

It's the first time I tried it, so I had no idea how it would turn out. So, it's a new skill I just learned.

My buddy saw the bike when I got it, saw the frame sandblasted, then saw it after I crusted it up and asked, "where the heck did you find another tall tank?" So I guess it looks real.

Real enough, anyways.

I purposely made the darts different from the original (OG has the two pointed darts on the sides) for two reasons.

First, because it's easy and I didn't know if it would work, and second, so it won't fool an "expert."

It looks good enough that if i sell it, someone down the road might try to pass it off as "original paint."

I've got enough rusty CWC parts to build it all up, except for a fork with a friggen giant steer tube.

Stupid one-off frames...

Back