When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making handle bar grips from a bowling ball containing Vulcanite Plastic or from other materials

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Andrew,
Thanks for the knowledge on Lignum Vitae (Iron Wood). It is tough and is used for large machinery spindle bearings and also in the pillow blocks of propeller shafts on large ships. It stays tough and resists heat and friction and can be lubed with oil.
Ipe (pronounced: "ee-pay") is also a tough wood used for outdoor decking.
Both of these woods are oily by nature lending themselves well for anti friction purposes.
Cutting the tougher woods requires carbide tipped tools and high speed and cobalt steel, even if they are TiNi coated, will burn up because the friction to cut these woods is so great. Solid carbide drill bits work best for drilling holes in these woods.
Mike Cates, CA.

Last edited:
Sorry for not responding earlier as I had not pictorially documented my fabrication process in the past but I had the need recently to make some more hand grips from the vulcanite plastic center of an old bowling ball.
The sequence of the photos will give you somewhat of an idea of the fabrication process (sawing the bowling ball in half on a band saw (using an attached side support plate for anyone's safety during this operation) as I have discussed in my first reply to this post then shaping the cut pieces mounted in a four jaw chuck at one end and a live center at the other end on a metal lathe to the correct profile, length and bore. Some fabrication steps did not unfortunately get photographed but the main idea is to saw the bowling ball in square oversized lengths then go to the metal lathe to profile to size and sand and polish. For the polishing process, an internal stub mandrel can be make to hold the grip so the entire outside length can be polished.
Again, this is a messy and stinky job (if you have ever smelled old original high wheel / hard tire safety vulcanite hand grips) but the finished product outweighs the effort if you like machining or making things.
Hope you all like this.
Mike Cates, CA.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

H.jpg

J.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for not responding earlier as I had not pictorially documented my fabrication process in the past but I had the need recently to make some more hand grips from the vulcanite plastic center of an old bowling ball.
The sequence of the photos will give you somewhat of an idea of the fabrication process (sawing the bowling ball in half on a band saw (using an attached side support plate for anyone's safety during this operation) as I have discussed in my first reply to this post then shaping the cut pieces mounted in a four jaw chuck at one end and a live center at the other end on a metal lathe to the correct profile, length and bore. Some fabrication steps did not unfortunately get photographed but the main idea is to saw the bowling ball in square oversized lengths then go to the metal lathe to profile to size and sand and polish. For the polishing process, an internal stub mandrel can be make to hold the grip so the entire outside length can be polished.
Again, this is a messy and stinky job (if you have ever smelled old original high wheel / hard tire safety vulcanite hand grips) but the finished product outweighs the effort if you like machining or making things.
Hope you all like this.
Mike Cates, CA.

View attachment 1876601

View attachment 1876602

View attachment 1876603

View attachment 1876604

View attachment 1876605

View attachment 1876606

View attachment 1876607

View attachment 1876608

View attachment 1876609
Beautiful! Must have a nice feel when riding

I made 10 pair of detatchable grips for my Columbia Chainless bikes back in 1990. I cut the bowling balls with my bandsaw into rectangle turning blanks. A machinest friend made the Columbia threaded endcaps for me but he has since passed. All the bikes are in private collections with the last one I owned going to TOYMAN here on the CABE. I did not use vulcanite for that bike but Maple to match the rims. If i remember correctly, the endcaps are scripted Columbia.

Back