When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making spokes black?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you're willing to break down the wheel to paint the spokes, an alternative is to buy a set of black spokes. Many spokes are available finished black. More money but less work and probably greater permanence. Paint doesn't stay on stainless very well.

Andy - the wheel is broken down. One of the problems, is that the spokes are 11 gauge. Very few people...only one I know, is Central Wheel in England - supply 11 ga.. They're a top-notch outfit. I've dealt with them before. But, anyway...I already ordered the new spokes from Worksman. It's for a build that won't really see much use - hopefully, that'll make things gentle on the spokes. I have seen solutions for black oxide coatings - but that's out of budget. Afraid it's gonna be rattle can time for better or worse. But I appreciate the advice! Thanks.

When you lace the wheels back together don't do an under. That should keep the spokes from chafing against each other. If you don't ride that often, you won't notice. I've unloaded a few Schwinn rims and from the factory there was no under.

Back