When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Manhattan Project" By Paul Bassett and Bill Hohman

-

El Hefe Grande

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here is a bicycle that I saw at the Santa Cruz Ride a few weeks back...and could not keep my eyes off of it.

This is a limited edition - 29" Custom Bicycle called the "Manhattan Project".

Paul Bassett and Bill Hohman are responsible for this Masterpiece !

https://bassettbmx.com/

https://techniquebmx.com/

https://peddlepowerbmx.com/

Here is an image of a Prototype owned by Keith Ellis -

Keith Ellis - Manhattan Project Bassett Racing.jpeg.jpg

I have received most of the parts to build this bike, but I am waiting on the 29" frame to be completed and shipped up to me.

I just completed lacing up these rims and had Todd at the local bike shop MY Buddy's Bike Shop True them up.

The challenge was try to get the gold tape to lay correctly on the inside of the rim.

The Rims are made up of the following;

Technique Hole Shot Rims 26" 33.5 mm in width.

TECHNIQUE F6 ROCKETPOD HUBS.

Phil Wood Spokes.

WTB 2.0 29" Comp Tires.

Techniques Whole Shot 29 inch Rims with F6 Rocket Pod Hubs.jpeg

Techniques Whole Shot 29 inch Rim with the F6 Rocket Pod Hub Close Up.jpeg

I will update the progress of this build with more images...

Here is a bicycle that I saw at the Santa Cruz Ride a few weeks back...and could not keep my eyes off of it.

This is a limited edition - 29" Custom Bicycle called the "Manhattan Project".

Paul Bassett and Bill Hohman are responsible for this Masterpiece !

https://bassettbmx.com/

https://techniquebmx.com/

https://peddlepowerbmx.com/

Here is an image of a Prototype owned by Keith Ellis -

View attachment 1059445

I have received most of the parts to build this bike, but I am waiting on the 29" frame to be completed and shipped up to me.

I just completed lacing up these rims and had Todd at the local bike shop MY Buddy's Bike Shop True them up.

The challenge was try to get the gold tape to lay correctly on the inside of the rim.

The Rims are made up of the following;

Technique Hole Shot Rims 26" 33.5 mm in width.

TECHNIQUE F6 ROCKETPOD HUBS.

Phil Wood Spokes.

WTB 2.0 29" Comp Tires.

View attachment 1059450

View attachment 1059454

I will update the progress of this build with more images...
if this was around when I was a kid, I would've driven everyone crazy until I got it! nice project really like the anodized parts, reminds me of aviation....

Jerry - this bike is sick! When I saw it today I was floored!!! Beautiful bike! Gotta get me some of those rims! I thought they were 29” tho? Love it!!

UPDATE

The one part that I had to wait for was Bill Hohman's - Technique - "V" Brake, So I ordered a PAUL Motolite "V" Brake direct from PaulComp.com

I thought that I was going to get it shipped out right away. Their website did not indicate that the brake had to go to polish... and took 10 days to arrive.

I was trying to get ready for the Monterey Ride which was about 5 days away...

I called Family Cycling Center in Santa Cruz and purchased a Gold Paul Motolite brake that they had in stock.

The first image is of the Paul Motolite V brake arm installed on the Bassett frame...the fit was less than desirable, the brake arm stuck out to far.

I contacted Bill Hohman and told him that I needed his "V" Brakes urgently. He went out of his way to get the Technique "V" Brake arms. He left his house at 4:30 am to drive 52 miles away from the machine shop and back, hand polished the arms himself and sent them out overnight. That is Excellent Customer Service, I was grateful to Bill for his effort.

Bill told me that his "V" brakes fits better than the other manufacturers. His arm is "offset" where as some of the others are not.

See the second Image for the Technique Brakes.

I also purchased a Gold Jagwire Elite Link Brake Kit from Family Cycling Center to add to the build, this Brake cable system is totally customizable and available in several colors.

The Manhattan Project is a limited run of 18 total 29" bicycles and 18 total run of 26" bicycles. Bill has very few left of each as of this writing...

Paul Motolite V Brake image showing the limited adjustment and wide mounting postion.

Paul Brake Image.jpeg

Technique "V"Brakes installed on the Bassett Frame. Much nicer fit an finish

Technique Linear V Brake Image close up.jpeg

Technique Linear Brake Image.jpeg

Jagwire Road Elite Link Brake Kit.jpeg

UPDATE

The one part that I had to wait for was Bill Hohman's - Technique - "V" Brake, So I ordered a PAUL Motolite "V" Brake direct from PaulComp.com

I thought that I was going to get it shipped out right away. Their website did not indicate that the brake had to go to polish... and took 10 days to arrive.

I was trying to get ready for the Monterey Ride which was about 5 days away...

I called Family Cycling Center in Santa Cruz and purchased a Gold Paul Motolite brake that they had in stock.

The first image is of the Paul Motolite V brake arm installed on the Bassett frame...the fit was less than desirable, the brake arm stuck out to far.

I contacted Bill Hohman and told him that I needed his "V" Brakes urgently. He went out of his way to get the Technique "V" Brake arms. He left his house at 4:30 am to drive 52 miles away from the machine shop and back, hand polished the arms himself and sent them out overnight. That is Excellent Customer Service, I was grateful to Bill for his effort.

Bill told me that his "V" brakes fits better than the other manufacturers. His arm is "offset" where as some of the others are not.

See the second Image for the Technique Brakes.

I also purchased a Gold Jagwire Elite Link Brake Kit from Family Cycling Center to add to the build, this Brake cable system is totally customizable and available in several colors.

The Manhattan Project is a limited run of 18 total 29" bicycles and 18 total run of 26" bicycles. Bill has very few left of each as of this writing...

Paul Motolite V Brake image showing the limited adjustment and wide mounting postion.

View attachment 1072301

Technique "V"Brakes installed on the Bassett Frame. Much nicer fit an finish

View attachment 1072303

View attachment 1072304

View attachment 1072305
Hubba hubba

Back