When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manta Ray clone build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Landarts

Look Ma, No Hands!
I purchased a 24" Schwinn Speedster frame to build up a Manta Ray clone. It has been since I was a kid along time ago to build a bike up from scratch. Just want to build it to have fun with and take to car shows in my 72 Chevy Cheyenne. Not looking to build it with all NOS parts, just want the look and feel.

Here are the items I am not sure of:
-Will a crank from a 26" Schwinn middle weight work or do I need to look for a crank from a 24"
-What would be the proper size for the handle bars, Ape Hangers or mid rise
-Really am clueless on rim actual size. I know I need a 24" rim, but width

Here is a picture of the frame I am starting with.
24-speedster.JPG

Really rough stab here - I've never been around a Manta-Ray before.

1.) I'd think 24''. Cranks off a 26'' bike are longer and liable to strike the ground, especially when leaning into turns.
2.) Google image search "Schwinn Manta-Ray" would help queue you into some similar bars. Being a custom, I wouldn't stress it much - just find a pair you like.
3.) I believe these bikes were like the Fastback and took either an S5 or S6 Schwinn rim and tire.

Good luck and have fun!

24x1 3/8. Same as fastback but 24 instead of 20. Should be an S5 rim. Bars are mid rise, shorter than stingray bars. I have a set in the shed for you. Can’t remember on crank but will look at my pics from my old silver mist manta. Big ticket item is the manta seat. Will cost a couple hundred but worth every penny. Sissy bar is standard late sixties to seventies.

My Avatar shows an early attempt at a Stingray for adult clone that I created from a 1959 24" Racer. It was done out of necessity as this model Racer was marketed towards boys aged 9 - 11, and was a real beast for an average adult to ride. It was a pretty simple changeover, white smoothie saddle and sissy bar, hi-rise bars, chain guard, shorty Collegiate fenders and a three speed Stik type shifter. Closer to a Manta Ray clone is my 1975 Schwinn 5 speed Speedster, which was purchased as seen from a fellow Caber pretty much as seen here (I did add the Collegiate shorty fenders to it also). I also have an identical Speedster with a 3 speed Sturmey & white smoothie, my daughter has it. All three are great riding and fun bikes to own - it's pretty amazing how many "I had one just like it" comments they get.

127_13_05_10_6_51_20.jpg

That bike is what I am shooting for, looks amazing. What size handlebars are those and how about the crank size.

Bars are aftermarket with a 12" rise, very close to the style which would have been used on 1967 Fastback. Crank is 6 1/2" with a 52 tooth "Mag" sprocket.

The single speed, three speed bikes would use the same 6 1/2" crank, but would use a 46 tooth sprocket, available as mag or 4 hole type. The mag style is the more readily available type and was used on many Schwinn 20", 24" & 26" Schwinn models.

Back