When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual 2-speed Bendix on Corvette?

-

jpromo

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Did the 2-speed Bendix ever come on a Schwinn Corvette? I bought what I think is a really early Corvette on eBay but haven't picked it up yet. The serial suggests it's Nov '54, for a Christmas introduction of the '55 model. The same serial was also repeated in '56 though. Either way, just wondering if this hub ever came on a 'Vette? I've seen it on mid-50s Flying Stars, Tigers, and some other models but never on a Corvette. Any help is appreciated! It looks like a pretty untouched bike from the photos.

2 speed

I've got an original 63 vette with that hub. I bought from neihbor who was original owner.

the manual 2 speed,or multi speed power brake hub was offered from around 54 up to late 59.it would have been available on corvettes.after late 59 or so it was an automatic 2 speed,but i have seen a couple early 60 bikes with it.

Corvettes actually came 1,2,3 and 5 speed
here's the findley page for 55.it shows single speed coaster,2 speed manual coaster,3 speed coaster,3 speed freewheel w/handbrakes.the 5 speeds were available mid 61 to 62.i stated earlier that i've only seen a couple 60 models with the manual hub,not that they don't exist.with schwinn,anything goes.

Back