When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Many questions from first time wheel builder.

-

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am happy to declare that I have finished sourcing the parts for, and building my gifted Schwinn large flange, pork chop, front brake hub!

I am now going to attempt to build my own wheel set for my killer 1940 DX project.
( using prewar drop center rims - 36 hole. )

The questions :

- Where is the best spoke calculator ?

- Where Is the best resource for reasonably priced, high quality stainless steel spokes ?

- What is the correct spoke gauge for a Schwinn script, large flange “phone dial” hub?

- What is the correct lacing pattern for a Schwinn “phone dial” flange hub?

- What are the correct gauge spokes for a late prewar, 36 H , Morrow coaster brake ?

- And the correct lacing pattern for the Morrow hub?

If there’s anything I’ve missed, please chime in.

Thanks everyone !

I am happy to declare that I have finished sourcing the parts for, and building my gifted Schwinn large flange, pork chop, front brake hub!

I am now going to attempt to build my own wheel set for my killer 1940 DX project.
( using prewar drop center rims - 36 hole. )

The questions :

- Where Is the best resource for reasonably priced, high quality stainless steel spokes ?

- What is the correct spoke gauge for a Schwinn script, large flange “phone dial” hub?

- What is the correct lacing pattern for a Schwinn “phone dial” flange hub?

- What are the correct gauge spokes for a late prewar, 36 H , Morrow coaster brake ?

- And the correct lacing pattern for the Morrow hub?

If there’s anything I’ve missed, please chime in.

Thanks everyone !
First off way to go taking on your own wheel build. I to have just recently started building my own wheels. I have not used any of the spoke calculators instead I disassembled existing wheels I had and measured the spokes. It was to my surprise that different hubs often used the same 10 5/8 with a 26 inch rim. I have gotten them to work with larger Bendix 2 speed hubs and the standard red band as well even though they are different diameters. I have even got them to work on smaller front hubs. Often a wheel builder will use a longer spoke and grind the excess off after wards. I believe 14 guage spokes is the most common size if not lacing a heavy duty wheel. A lot of early wheels had double butted spokes and they are getting harder to find. The cost is all over the board but you should expect to pay $30/40 per set if you buy in bulk you can save a bunch. The lacing pattern different from bike to bike sometimes dictated by what spokes the builder had on hand. You can build the same wheel with different length spokes the difference being 3 or 4 cross. My Schwinn bikes have been a combination of both some wheels 4 some 3. If you have never laced a wheel I suggest you disassemble another wheel and builds it back up mas it was for practice. If you have a similar sized wheel measure the spokes and match the cross pattern. Make sure you have plenty of time to work it can be very confusing to stop and go back to it. Do not get frustrated it is tedious work and I had to go back to the start a few times but now I can build a wheel in less then an hour. As far as truing a wheel that takes a bit more info and practice. Watch some videos reference other wheels you have and good luck.

I suggest you post another question about the spoke length and pattern of the porkchop brake. If I'm not mistaken they have a large diameter and may need a longer spoke.

10 5/8 , been building up a bunch of forebrakes, 4 cross works out well! Built up high low also and 4 cross worked on both sides! I build up and hand off to a buddy who trues them for$20! I could do it but $20 is cheaper than my time and frustration.... good luck, it's kinda fun!

The question:
Thanks everyone !
One can make their own spoke calculator, using an Excel spreadsheet and 3-D geometry (law-of-cosines and Pythagoras' mere theorem).
The 5 basic variables are hub width & diameter, rim diameter, # of spokes, # of cross-overs.
If one always sticks to 36-spokes and 3-crossovers (or 4), then there are only 3 variables; (and the cosine factor, sometimes 60 degrees, may be an easy 1/2).
A hard part may be remembering that the radius dimensions are half-diameters, and that there are 360-degrees to a circle. and half of the spokes are on each side. And one needs a machine capable of doing square-roots.
Another part is that the ideal geometry (abstract points) may not reflect true dimensions; (e.g., thickness of rim wall, or how spoke lengths are actually measured, offset distances from center of the rim); but those variables are often accounted for by a +/- 1-2mm fudge factor, or disregarded as small, and/or offsetting.

Last edited:
I have ordered stainless steel spokes from Husky Bicycles and have been happy with quality and price. The Sheldon Brown website has great info to help with wheel building. I've found some of my bikes have used a 4-cross pattern on the back wheel and 3-cross on the front, maybe due to torque requirements?

Back