When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 63 stingray question

-

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I for one ...don’t know a lot about early stingrays. So I have to ask.. I’ve located a 1963 coppertone stingray. It’s a early March built I believe or so he says and he’s very adement about it. It’s suppose to be in excellent all original condition with a few fun excessories. My question is ....does the earlier stingrays have more value than later ones...if so, what would I expect to pay for one since he wants to sell it.. everyone thinks since it’s stingray they want millions for beaters.. it won’t be a free deal.. I just want to be prepared so I don’t lose a supposedly rare bike or over pay. Thanks

Pictures and a serial number would help immensely to honestly answer your question.

Just initially here, yes - the early Stingrays are rarer and more sought after than the later ones.

Thank you that’s what Thought... Yes pics are good it’s gonna be after the holidays. Also he has another one that’s green with 3spd and grasshopper tires year unknown but in same condition.... I’ll probably just buy them anyhow...with or with out a price idea..... my gut say get them but caution is my game...it will be in Jan some time...

Nice! 63 stingrays are very sought after in any form. I would recommend he still furnish a SN and/or pics before even putting a finger on a checkbook. Been around this hobby a long time, as have you I see, and have seen some wild stuff - intentional or not.

I'm not a stingray expert but from what I know the stingray was introduced in the second half of 1963 with this ad. It doesn't appear in catalogs until 1964. If it's a June of '63 then it would be one of the very early ones. Also the '63 models sold out. Here is a link to the Schwinn Date Codes. Hopefully that will be of help to you.

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes1.html

1545102897098.jpeg

Thank you. Yep will do. I tried to shake him on the date but no go... seems like the green stingray on might be a stingray super deluxe.. but have to be after the holidays to really find out...he has no rush to sell.. more like a hoarder to me...lol

Back