When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marine, Navy & Army Columbia Bikes Completed.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MrColumbia

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I am finally done with the Marine Issue WWII Columbia. While I was at it I re-restored my 1945 Military Model Compax in Navy Gray to reflect the fact that it was owned and used at the Navel Air Station in Lakehurst NJ during the last year of the war. I also upgraded my 1939 Heavy Duty Service Army Tribute Columbia with WWII Army surplus rims and 12 gage spokes for a more authentic look.

The Marine bike was missing the original wheels. For the time being anyway I have done the bike with WWII Army surplus rims. The Marine issue rims were not drop center but until correct ones are found (if ever) these will do. The seat was re-covered by Bergerwerke Bicycles and the reproduction wood pedal blocks were obtained from them as well. The correct front sprocket was obtained from a fellow Caber. The tires are reproduction US Royal Chain Treads also obtained from a fellow Caber. Aside from the tires, chain ring, Pedals and Pedals Blocks and the wheels, everything else is original to this bike and traces of the original Lusterless Marine Forest Green were found on every part. These are the original hand grips, as a matter of fact I could not even get one off. The other was removed and the Marine green was in perfect shape underneath.

WWII Marine.jpg

The Marine bike is serial number MC14643A and was found in California were it was a campus bike at Chico State College for many years.

1945 Military Model Compax Navy.jpg

The Military Compax was purchased from the nephew of the man who served on Airships at Lakehurst NJ during WWII and purchased the bike from the base some time after the war. It's serial number is J33428.

1939 Army.jpg

The "Army Tribute" bike is a 1939 Heavy Service Columbia. It was redone with WWII Army surplus rims and handlebars. It's not meant to represent one of the WWII contract bikes and I have "1939" stenciled on the front fender to represent it's true year of manufacture. One thing to remember is WWII started in 1938 despite the US not officially entering it until 1941. The US Military did use bicycles prior to 1942 and this is a tribute to all of those. That and it was fun to make.

WWII Marine.jpg

1945 Military Model Compax Navy.jpg

1939 Army.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a Victory bike too?

I have a female Wartime Columbia in original condition. At the moment it has an incorrect chrome headlight that I put on the replace the old one. I will change that back soon. It does not have the "V" on the fenders as it was made a little later in the war.

wartime female.jpg

Unfortunately I sold my Men's and Ladies lightweight wartime Columbia's...for cheap money too. Back then nobody thought they were worth anything. They would have helped complete the WWII collection.

wartime female.jpg

Hey Ken,
Great job!!! Nice stable of bikes!!! Impressive restore on all of them. And that wartime ladies bike is sweet...I can't say that I have ever seen one in the civilian form.
Tom

Hey Ken,
Great job!!! Nice stable of bikes!!! Impressive restore on all of them. And that wartime ladies bike is sweet...I can't say that I have ever seen one in the civilian form.
Tom

The bike was given to me by a neighbor who was moving. It was in his basement and he was going to throw it away! It looked pretty bad at first glance but a few hours with rubbing and polishing compound and some good paste wax brought it back to life. All the mechanicals got cleaned and re-greased as I do with all my bikes and a new set of tires and that is all I did.

Back