When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master link on skip tooth chain?

-

mickeyc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Can't seem to find one. Chain isn't that grubby, but very stiff and needs a good cleaning, but I just don't see a master link.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

Hi,
How old a skip tooth chain? Early ones may not have them. My teens Pierce chain didn't, had to punch out a pin. There are threads about this with some good information.

Good luck,
Gary

Chain is probably original to a '26 Columbia. My other '26 Columbia has a master link on the chain.

Mike

I can't find the master link on mine either! I need it off but cannot figure it out. Every link is identical. Do I have to grind a pin down? They look like that were punched on the ends so they can be removed.

That's probably it. Some chains have been messed with on older bikes. Chains break. Master links break and someone "fixes" it the best they can, with what's at hand. They might have spliced the chain together while still on the bike. get a small drift punch and knock that pin out. Chains are easy to get and repair. You should be able to remove two links and replace with a new master link.

Thanks! I'm in a bind right now though with a bike show on Friday. Grinded the pin down and punched it out. Hoping I can put that pin back in for the show and will try a replace it later.

Back