When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matching bike set up for any reason? Help please.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wards Guy..

I live for the CABE
I wouldn’t waste anybody’s time asking this question if I hadn’t been hit with the same situation twice. The first bike I bought 4
years ago in Texas was badged “Speed” a green CWC twin bar with a tall neck and Dallas bars and front brake. The second purchased last Friday is a Snider built twin bar Hawthorne badged same tall neck and Dallas bars along with a front brake with additional blackout seat frame, pedals and cool kick stand. Any reasons for the exact bar setup? Were these bikes special in anyway? If there is a conversation pertaining to this please let me know. Thanks Cabers! Sincerely, Fred

I had a 24” Mead Ranger project that I felt the need to test ride, and found that sometimes the relatively shorter bicycles’ geometry banged my knees into the handlebars.
Not so much a big “owie” but it felt somewhat unsafe, (restricting maneuverability), so I tilted the the handlebars upward for clearance.

A taller goose/swan stem appears to be another solution; and perhaps easier on the back too?

Last edited:
I found an early 70's 10 speed free on the curb a few months ago set up the same way that seemed to have been done as a result of getting older. I'm not a road bike guy, but when i get around to it i'm salvaging the cycle truck stem for the sake of my own back before I pass the bike along.

I get it that it’s a great set up. And yes it is a very comfortable ride. It still seems odd that both of them had the brake on the front wheel, and they were both twin bars as well. Just me I guess.

Last edited:
And I have only come across 2 bicycles with front brake hubs in my history of collecting. These 2. Like I said maybe it’s just a HUGE coincidence…I’ll listen to any other thoughts, but if none I will let it rest. 🤐thanks for listening

Its my opinion these bikes with the high stems were set up and used by paperboys . The high stem gave them clearance to hang the paper bags . The local Schwinn dealer in Phx was offering bikes with this set up , but you wont see it in the Schwinn catalog.

B79B9931-A2BA-40E4-8C53-4D235001C3AD.jpeg

Back