When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matching bike set up for any reason? Help please.

-

Wards Guy..

I live for the CABE
I wouldn’t waste anybody’s time asking this question if I hadn’t been hit with the same situation twice. The first bike I bought 4
years ago in Texas was badged “Speed” a green CWC twin bar with a tall neck and Dallas bars and front brake. The second purchased last Friday is a Snider built twin bar Hawthorne badged same tall neck and Dallas bars along with a front brake with additional blackout seat frame, pedals and cool kick stand. Any reasons for the exact bar setup? Were these bikes special in anyway? If there is a conversation pertaining to this please let me know. Thanks Cabers! Sincerely, Fred

I had a 24” Mead Ranger project that I felt the need to test ride, and found that sometimes the relatively shorter bicycles’ geometry banged my knees into the handlebars.
Not so much a big “owie” but it felt somewhat unsafe, (restricting maneuverability), so I tilted the the handlebars upward for clearance.

A taller goose/swan stem appears to be another solution; and perhaps easier on the back too?

Last edited:
I found an early 70's 10 speed free on the curb a few months ago set up the same way that seemed to have been done as a result of getting older. I'm not a road bike guy, but when i get around to it i'm salvaging the cycle truck stem for the sake of my own back before I pass the bike along.

I get it that it’s a great set up. And yes it is a very comfortable ride. It still seems odd that both of them had the brake on the front wheel, and they were both twin bars as well. Just me I guess.

Last edited:
And I have only come across 2 bicycles with front brake hubs in my history of collecting. These 2. Like I said maybe it’s just a HUGE coincidence…I’ll listen to any other thoughts, but if none I will let it rest. 🤐thanks for listening

Its my opinion these bikes with the high stems were set up and used by paperboys . The high stem gave them clearance to hang the paper bags . The local Schwinn dealer in Phx was offering bikes with this set up , but you wont see it in the Schwinn catalog.

B79B9931-A2BA-40E4-8C53-4D235001C3AD.jpeg

Back