When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matex Tour Meter help?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wynn L

On Training Wheels
Hi. I have this Matex Tour Meter found on a new to me 50’s Western Flyer. After cleaning it up, I want to reinstall it on the bike. Has anyone taken one of these apart (and successfully put back together!)? It seems functionable just cruddy on the inside. Thank you.
Wynn

-----

Wow, this is the first time have seen/heard the MATEX name in forty-five years.

Back during the bike boom days there was a little white plastic MATEX leg light which was sold. It had a clear lens to the front and a red one to the rear. User attached it to leg just below knee with an adjustable cloth strap. Two C-cell batteries supplied the power. Did precious little to illuminate one's path but did provide an element of safety for night riding...and could provide an emergency light source if needed for dealing with a puncture or suchlike mishap.

Did not know company offered a cyclometer. Recall light as being of French manufacture but see cyclometer comes from Japan. Or perhaps light manufacture moved from France to Japan...

Additional images of cyclometer -

Thanks for posting!

-----

Thank you for your response @juvela. Very interesting light accessory. Handy and heavy! Without tearing up something I shouldn’t, I think I will just remount the meter where I found it. Thanks!
Wynn

-----

Does the meter have any markings to indicate country of manufacture?

Since I recall the lights as coming from France I wonder of MATEX products began there and their manufacture was subsequently moved to Japan.

Your example appears earlier than the cyclometers I was able to find images of.

The instructions state that no lubrication is required because unit "permanently lubricated."

-----

Thank you again @juvela. Being “permanently lubricated” is enough of a reason to keep it closed to me. Looking at the meter again, it is marked “JAPAN” on the gear end. It also does seem a little older than others I saw as well. Thank you.
Wynn

-----

Thanks for the response. ;)

Learned just today, by chance, that there are or were also MATEX brand saddles.

-----

-----

Discovered today that MATEX cyclometers were also sold badged as Sears.

Here is one on a Sears Ted Williams road cycle built by Puch of Austria & dated by owner as 1964.

-----

Wish mine was that clean! Ha. That looks like the vintage of mine. Makes me think mine was a later addition to the bicycle (early 50’s Western Flyer). Thanks again!

I stocked these in the early to mid 80's. Very Basic Cyclometer; I wouldn't try to disassemble.
Lucas (made in England) were the top 'o' the line back then.

Back