When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Me and my Scrambler...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ballooney

I live for the CABE
Came across some old photos of me back in the late 70's...I'm guessing '78-'79...somewhere in that pocket. This was the first bike that I chose as consolation for getting hit by a car on my sister's Schwinn Varsity. Bike was totaled and I was knocked out...I have vivid memories of the incident. I was heading east at sundown and a car turned left into me as I was crossing a street...Kapow! I recall having the inclination to lift my left leg trying to jump away before getting plowed. I suspect that saved me from broken bones. I woke up in the middle of the street wrapped in a blanket surrounded by strangers looking down on me and then off to the ER. My mom happened to be a nurse on duty at the hospital and was notified that her son was hit by a car and in the ER. I can imagine now as a parent how sickening that must have felt for her. I came out of it with a concussion and deep bruising but no broken bones. Lucky! Now onto my Scrambler. Unbeknownst to me, my Dad was a fan of Schwinn even though he wasn't a rider...I think he appreciated the quality of the product. So I was able to pick any bike I wanted at the local Schwinn Dealer (Hidden Valley Schwinn in Escondido, CA) that was under (I think) $150. I'm pretty sure this was '78. BMX was in full swing by then in SoCal and I was the envy of the neighborhood with my new bike. Most of my friends had their older brothers hand me down stingray converted to BMX but mine was the real deal. Here is my bike after a few mods:
BlueSchwinnScrambler.jpeg

Population density was much lower back in the 70's but north San Diego county was blowing up with construction sites everywhere. This site was about 1/2 mile away from our house and this is how we would spend our weekends when we weren't playing baseball...taking nicely stacked and strategically placed sheets of plywood and make elaborate ramps. I can only imaging the framers coming to work on a Monday to find this...that's my buddy with his hand me down stingray:
ConstructionSiteJump.jpeg

Well...as the forum title indicates...here I am on my childhood bike...11 or 12 years old here...simple times:
LittleStevie_BMX_Jump1.jpeg

LIttleStevie_BMX_Jump2.jpeg

I had a silver one 1975 with a black banna seat. Picture is old took the seat off Anne put a single seat on it

Back