When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mead Bicycles Made In Great Britain

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Daniel Dahlquist

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Good Morning, I have been collecting bicycles for over thirty years now, and I have a special fondness for early Mead bicycles. As Mead enthusiasts knows, many of the components for the early Meads were English: mudguards, pedals, grips, etc. I recall seeing two Mead bicycles that were made in England on the CABE a few years back--these were rather typical rod brake bikes in black, if memory serves. I acquired a British-made "Mead Coventry Flyer" (circa 1910) not long ago, and I would like to get in touch with the owner(s) of the British Meads--or anyone else on the list who owns one of these English single or 3 speed Mead bicycles. Did Mead bicycles originate in England, or was the English Mead bicycle a branch of the American brand, etc.?

One last note concerning the ribs on the Mead forks--my 1910 Mead Coventry Flyer rob brake bicycle has ribs on the seat stays and the chain stays--but no ribs on the front fork! (I am in the process of having a missing rear fender made for the Mead, so no photo is available at present).

Welcome Daniel, I know you are a long time hobbyist!
Your input is most welcome by myself.

I own a handful of meads but none early enough to have many British components, I would also be interested in learning more about their British roots

Excellent--we will learn together. I have loved Meads for many years--the Golden Brown and Cream color is very appealing. I have also loved British rod brake bikes for a long time. Interesting note--I mentioned to an experienced seller once that I thought one could easily specialize in British rod brake bikes, and he responded by saying, "You know what you would have if you specialized in British rod brake bikes? A basement full of black bikes." (And he has a point. :)

Daniel, I have only recently purchased a few Mead bicycles, one of which I believe is early enough to be a healthy mix of English & US components.

I have a set of worse for wear fenders I planned on making available, perhaps they are of use to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back