When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mead of B-Ham England

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sam

I live for the CABE
I can now report I have I.D.ed this frame as a Mead . The head badge ghost does match that used by Mead of B-ham as a Mead Superbe. It's design is for an early type derailer I think used with the Sturmey archer 3 speed to get 6 gears. The lugs and drop outs used were Brampton. The 1929 Brampton catalog shows these rear drop outs. I'd like to narrow down the age but even the Brits don't have much on these bikes. Their Veteran's Cycling web site shows the 1925 B-Han catalog. Maybe someday I'll have more to compare with.

1910 frame 1.jpg

Hi Sam,

Intriguing bike to find in Texas.

B-ham ? (-: Do you mean my ex regional capital of Birmingham, UK?

Locals would never call it B-ham. Instead, the local name is Birmingum, or Brummigum or Brum, where Brummies come from). If you ever hear the accent you'll know why. (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian

I got this frame off ebay several years ago. I didn't just find it in Texas but it was in the U.S. and advertised as an English Mead . When I got it I ask the seller how he determined it to be a Mead---he responded he had gotten it in a parts lot of Mead bicycle parts and was only guessing, turns out he guessed right. Mead of Chicago had a factory in (first Liverpool) then moved to Birmingham. But the UK Meads seem to be a mystery even to the UK bike collectors. So not much to go on. Lots of Chicago Mead catalogs but only a 1925 UK catalog at the V.C.C. web site.Maybe more will show up some day. ---------and yes it would seem odd to find Rare English bikes in Texas but then again So Texas (San Antonio) was home to 5 military bases and several more in the area. I did find a 1935 sun tandem with Trivolux gears in a house in down town San Antonio. There's no telling what the military guys brought back.

There was an in depth article on 'Mead' in the UK in a recent edition of the U.K. V-CC 'Boneshaker' journal.
I'll see if I can find it for you. The journal is only available to club members, but I could photocopy it and post it to you.

There was an in depth article on 'Mead' in the UK in a recent edition of the U.K. V-CC 'Boneshaker' journal.
I'll see if I can find it for you. The journal is only available to club members, but I could photocopy it and post it to you.
Yes please do.

Back