When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mead Ranger tire help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Major Taylor Archive

I live for the CABE
My buddy just picked up a 1921 Mead Ranger with the original red tread Fisk tires on it but they are petrified. He would like to be able to ride it and asked me for some help getting it back on the road. It looks like it takes a single tube tire, is that correct ? Looking for tire options from the Mead experts. Pics of the bike attached. Thanks !

Contrary to what you may expect, the older the tire the more options you have for removal.
This is owing to the natural rubber materials etc I believe that were used often in early tires and replaced by oil based products by the teens.
Once the oils are leached from the more "modern" tires they become quite petrified.

That said if I were in your friend's position and wanted to save the original tires for display I would try removing the wheels and putting each wheel in a kiddie pool of warm - hot water to see if the tires loosen up at all.

His best option to ride with those wheels will be to buy a pair of Robert Dean tires. Dean makes them in red rubber that would look decent on the bike. The ribbed tread he offers would be the most appropriate. You could get the ribbed tread in white and paint or stain the thread area red to simulate the Fisks. Fisk offered a very similar tread pattern in red and white as Robert's tires.

Your friend should act fast as Robert will be retiring very soon from making these.

Last edited:
Back