When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mead Ranger

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It's a great bike, congratulations Mike. I don't see restorations of that quality so much anymore. It's hard to believe that Ranger was restored 30 years ago, it looks like it was completed yesterday.

Kudos to Team Bicycle in Huntington Beach too for packing and shipping in a way so it arrived in perfect shape. Mike there has been around since the early days in So. Cal and is a great guy, and an asset to the hobby.

One reason that bike rides so nicely Mike is that Morrow hub, Tony swore by them. First time I rode the Aerocycle I was amazed at how solid, and smooth it was. And the braking on them is second to none. Lubed up right, and properly adjusted, you won't find a better riding experience on a vintage bike. They were a pricey upgrade too from ND, not often standard equipment.

Tony Henkels was the very definition of "old school". Born in 1928, they call them the "greatest generation" for a reason. His work ethic was incredible; he was in his shop all day everyday... at 87! He made prototypes for people, fabricated rare obsolete parts for Pebble Beach cars, and helped an endless stream of others with their jobs and restorations. He was busier in retirement than most machinists are in their working years. He was always supportive and would help just about anyone. The quality of his restorations is legendary, and can be plainly seen in photos. That's saying something!

Enjoy the bike Mike, you won't see another Ranger like it.

Justin, thanks for sharing your knowledge of the bike and the continued stories you've told me about Tony. I couldn't be happier with this this aqusition and the ride. I would have loved to have met Tony!

Thanks for working with me and delivering the bike to Team Bicycle and Mike. I've worked with Mike before, he can sure pack a bike but is also a pleasure to work with.

The chrome is outstanding as well, you mentioned the company do you remember who it was?

Mike

Yes, Tony used Christensen plating. At the time they were located in Pasadena, CA. They were one of the very top chrome shops doing many cars for Pebble Beach. They have since sold to one of the main workers, Jose, and he continues to do some of the best chrome in California. They moved to south/east LA in a very industrial area, but are still in business, and still do auto chrome for folks like Leno, and others like Pinchot ;o)

They did some of the chrome on my 1950 Tatra. I know ya'll like photos, so here are some of my car, and a couple of photo of Tony the day I picked up the Aerocycle. I stitched together shots of the day he got it in the early 80s, and the day he sold it to me for the before and after effect.

Tony was so much more about doing the best work than about the money. Christensen was exponentially more expensive than just about anyone else, but worth every penny. He went with them when he could have spent much less money, but that's the kind of guy he was.

Sorry I don't have any pix of him with the Ranger, but I will see if I can find any.

1950 Tatra (1).jpg

1950 Tatra.jpg

AEROCYCLE FINAL RESIZED.jpg

023.JPG

024.JPG

20150419_185137.jpg

Thanks Shawn! Whatcha got??! Do share.

Yes, I was up to 8 cars myself.. WAY too many. I'm now down to 5, and soon to be 4. Once I sell this last one, I will be covered... I'll have a convertible, a truck, a wagon, and European/exotic air cooled oddity. I was hoping for a 356, Ghia or other VW/Porsche thing, but couldn't find anything I liked until I found the Tatra. For anyone interested in this car, check out the feature on Collector's Weekly:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/the-vw-bugs-rare-and-quirky-czech-mate/

Back