When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mead/Schwinn tank info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ozzmonaut

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I find that in order to partially fund a vehicle purchase, I may be required to convert this bicycle back into the parts from which it came for individual sale. However the bike has been in this particular incarnation for some time and I am not up to date on values of some of the parts. Particularly the tank. When I originally received it , it was on a Schwinn frame that had a trashed rear triangle. I knew the tank would some in handy, despite some damage someone had tried to fix with filler. I remember hammering the front end back out and the filler cracking away. I cannot remember if I used filler to smooth it, but if so it is shallow. I then painted it and patinad it to match the Mead frame in which it now rests. As stated, it is originally Schwinn, but fits the Mead perfectly. Could I get some help on what I should expect to sell it for? I think I can guess close on some of the other parts. But the tank being the harder to find portion, I don't want to mess up or overblow the value, and I don't want to disassemble the bike if it won't at least help me in a significant way. Thanks for any help from the pros. And the door side picture is from before some extra patina was added. That side looks more like the opposite side now.
SANY0815-1.jpg

SANY0809-1.jpg

If you have ideas on values of the other parts, that info is just as welcome. The fenders are womens with the holes filled, as that will obviously affect value

If you just want an opinion I will give an opinion but please keep in mind. It's just My opinion! and if you would like to add to it feel free because I'm far from an expert. and I tend not to part out bikes. I'm usually the one parting them back together. LOL!
The tank may not be the most valuable part on the bike. And for this reason. When most people look for Original parts they tend to try to find things in the best shape. i.e. without rust, body filler, and has original paint and graphics. and this tank has everything going against it. I would put a value of maybe $125 on the tank. Put it on EBay and hope for a biding war at the last minute and stretch it out to $150 tops. I have seen really nice Mead Ranger tanks with good original paint and Nice original graphics sell for $200
Fenders- $65-$75
Seat- $100- $125
Grips- $45
Crank and sprocket- $100- $125 if cleaned up and chrome was GOOD! Spend a 30 minutes and clean Greasy parts.
Handel bars with Stem - $75-$100
Badge $45
Wheels complete with tires ( Are they 28" triple step?) $200- $250 Depends what they are
Frame and fork- $125- $175
Chain- $35- $40
That's $915 on the low side and $1130 on the high side. And that is assuming that everything sells. (Forgot the rack and drop stand)
My 2 cents
JKent

Last edited:
I think jkent is close on this. The same tank was just sold on here for $100, origjnal condition. You would need a buyer that is restoring a 20's motorbike.
With pictures, I may be interested in the handlebars only. (No stem)
...and possibly the chainring. PM me if you decide to go back to parts.

Last edited:
This one might not be worth pulling apart. $100...How'd I miss a tank for that cheap?! I was thinking I had enough here for a start, but it ain't worth tearing it down I believe. It rides too good to risk being left with a couple hundred bucks and a pile of stuff I can't ride. Thank you for the help guys. Lucky I didn't just start pulling it all apart, especially with all the time and effort that would have to go into shipping what did sell. Although the reproduction of this tank on ebay is going for $170, so you'd think some original steel would bring at least that. Oh well, looks like she stays.

Back