When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Measure twice, buy once - Schwinn EF frame dimensions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

DrRumack80

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I purchased this January, 1971 Suburban about a month ago. I really wanted a 23" - 24" frame, but I figured that a longer seatpost would be all that was needed to dial in the fit on this 22" (21"c-c) Suburban. After all, my '82 Sidewinder with the same size frame, fit just fine after adding longer post from Pork Chop BMX.

However, I am having trouble finding a sweet spot for comfort on the Suburban. It just feels too cramped. Some quick measuring between the Suburban and Sidewinder and it appears that the Sidewinder has a longer 22.5 - 23" top tube. The Suburban's is 22" My '74 Varsity with a 24" frame, equipped with the same tourist bars as the Suburban, fits like a glove. It has a 23" top tube.

I honestly thought that the Sidewinder was just a Varsity/Continental frame with clearance for wider tires. However, it does appear that Schwinn lengthened the top tube.

Needless to say, if a 1970 or early '71 Suburban in a larger frame size comes my way, I will not pass it up.

Did Schwinn ever vary the top tube length on Varsities/Continentals/Suburbans, etc through the years?

IMG_0549.JPG

Last edited:
Any interest in a 1973 24” frame? It’s pretty optioned out too…
I’ve got more pics. Pm me if interested.

B182298E-ABCC-4480-9D03-1C342706C44C.jpeg

7DE106D0-7FD2-4784-8CA2-4F6C629F93CF.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1970 Suburban with a 23" frame. Can anyone with a 23" EF frame let me know what the top tube measurement is? I'm hoping it has a 23" top tube like the 24" frame Varsity I own.

I imagine that the 23" frame will be a better fit than the 22" I currently have. Thank you in advance for any help!

20221019_175752.jpg

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1970 Suburban with a 23" frame. Can anyone with a 23" EF frame let me know what the top tube measurement is? I'm hoping it has a 23" top tube like the 24" frame Varsity I own.

I imagine that the 23" frame will be a better fit than the 22" I currently have. Thank you in advance for any help!

View attachment 1716926
Glad you found one! If it falls through or you change your mind you know where to find mine haha

Thanks! This seller has been a bit stubborn. I've had my eye on this bike since early September. Offered him full price plus a delivery fee to meet halfway (since it would be 3-4 hours round trip drive for me) and he declined, claiming a family emergency. It happens. Said he would contact me when he freed up but never did. I then found the Suburban I currently have. Next, I made an offer about 20% lower, with me picking up. He never responded. OK. I'm going to try again! If he won't meet up, I'll have to drive or go by train. He's had the bike listed for nearly three months. It's in near-mint condition.

If not, I will be in touch!

View attachment 1716926

Are you looking for a complete bike or wanting to build a bike? I have two lightweight frames, not sure what they are as they don't have the guards. I think ones a 68 and the other early 70's. I can get to the 70's one in a few minutes to check, I know this one has a short head tube like a 24" middle weight.
Not really wanting to ship but I saw you had interest in the Tuckerton swap. Weather permitting I should be going. I have a handful of lightweight frames and a tandem frame I should bring.

edit: EL Suburban frame 19.75 clbb to top seat tube. 20.75 length of top tube with a 4" head tube

Last edited:
Are you looking for a complete bike or wanting to build a bike? I have two lightweight frames, not sure what they are as they don't have the guards. I think ones a 68 and the other early 70's. I can get to the 70's one in a few minutes to check, I know this one has a short head tube like a 24" middle weight.
Not really wanting to ship but I saw you had interest in the Tuckerton swap. Weather permitting I should be going. I have a handful of lightweight frames and a tandem frame I should bring.

edit: EL Suburban frame 19.75 clbb to top seat tube. 20.75 length of top tube with a 4" head tube
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking for a complete bike. The brown Suburban above is mine, it's a 22" frame (clbb-top of seat tube) with a 22" top tube. At 6'1, I find it a bit small/cramped compared to the 24" (c-t) frame Varsity I ride. (below). I might head to Tuckerton, weather permitting.

20221021_180009.jpg

Back