When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memory Lane and Ann Arbor aka Monroe Vendors: A Plea...

-
I have been going to swaps etc for 55 plus years. Big swaps, little swaps. Bicycle, car, tractor, race car, snowmobile, motorcycle, gas station stuff and chip china and broken tea cups.. What I have learned is if the stuff is not priced unless it's really special, just keep walking not worth your time or effort.
some of the best stuff I have scored has been unpriced but very much for sale. what not ask?

Almost every spring swap has rain and I learned after the first time it was a waste to price due to the fact it washed off or blew away. I am by no means a jerk, if anything you'll buy something from me to get away because I won't quit talking, lol!

V/r
Sean
Last year at ML, after reading the forecast, I made tags out of aluminum and wrote the price on them. Metal price tags work great. As soon as I entered Ohio, it was a rainy, windy, mess. Set up in the pouring rain and had no problems. I typically leave my table and walk around, looking at stuff and bs ing. I have a sign on the table that reads, "Everything is fairly priced. Wife is sitting in truck, pay her. She has my phone # if you have a ?" It works fine. They just hand her the $$. and tell her how beautiful she is, as they walk away. . . . . puking.

I have to agree with the OP on this one. Now, to be fair, most of the small swap meets tend to be social gatherings with the peripheral benefit of making a bit of money.
However, many people have an idea of what they want to spend and would just like to see a price and pay it. If you are content to socialize and maybe make some money on the side then that’s awesome. If you are trying to maximize your gains it would behoove you to display a price.
Another thing is that it’s fine to not display a price but at least be at the table. If a potential sale is lost bc the vendor wasn’t even there to negotiate a price then everyone misses out. I understand I can wait around but perhaps I just want to buy my stuff and carry on living my life. The other possibility is that you have nothing marked and you and a potential buyer start wheeling and dealing, and I wander up and need to ask the price while you’re busy.

If the item is at a Swapmeet .. it should be for sale .. or why bring it out as a vendor .. no price on it .. just ask .. as they say "everything has a price"
Agreed. Although in one of the other swap meet threads someone asked what one of the bicycles in the picture was priced at and evidently it was not for sale. Display only, I guess

Maybe make some “DoND” labels or tags that are rain and wind resistant?
No one asks prospective buyers to wear a label about how much money that they have to spend.
I hope no one takes what I’m saying as criticism of their sales technique. I suppose you could view it as that, but the way I see it, the OP posted what you could call free customer feedback. The guy has money to spend and is practically begging you to make it easier for him to give you his money. Not saying that you are specifically doing it, but I don’t see why that’s cause to belittle him or anyone else that’s simply offering you their view from the other side. Consider this: TheCABE has worldwide viewership. I’ve seen some great photos of the swapmeets that group members are holding and participating in. If potential future swapmeet customers are looking at these photos wondering if there are deals to be had they might choose to forego the swapmeet if they can’t compare costs. If they can anticipate certain prices on items they may decide it’s worth the gas to take a trip. No price tags on anything sort of makes it difficult.

went to my first swap meet in 1975. sold at my first swap meet probably around 1980. it would appear that what I always thought of as a simple process for both buyers and sellers is for some reason difficult for some.

here's my suggestion for you. put some random parts on the ground on your driveway. kneel down, pick one up and while holding up the item say, "how much for this?" maybe have you wife or one of your kids there to answer. repeat until you get the hang of it.

the same technique is good for both parts and complete bikes, except you will not need to kneel down and pick up a complete bike.

hope this helps.

Back