When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memory Lane and Ann Arbor aka Monroe Vendors: A Plea...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
went to my first swap meet in 1975. sold at my first swap meet probably around 1980. it would appear that what I always thought of as a simple process for both buyers and sellers is for some reason difficult for some.

here's my suggestion for you. put some random parts on the ground on your driveway. kneel down, pick one up and while holding up the item say, "how much for this?" maybe have you wife or one of your kids there to answer. repeat until you get the hang of it.

the same technique is good for both parts and complete bikes, except you will not need to kneel down and pick up a complete bike.

hope this helps.
Thank you. I would add to that perhaps saying to yourself “what do I want for this?” And then getting out some stickers and writing said price down on them. Pretty much every place you have ever shopped at uses this successful technique

Thank you. I would add to that perhaps saying to yourself “what do I want for this?” And then getting out some stickers and writing said price down on them. Pretty much every place you have ever shopped at uses this successful technique
well, here in the modern world where I live everything at the store has a bar code and few if any items actually have a price sticker on them. the price is on the shelf by the item. why do you think Target and Wal-Mart have bar code scanners throughout the store?

1975 was 47 years ago. I go to 5 or more swaps every year as a buyer. do the math. I would guess I have sold at 30 at least. again, it is a simple process for most people.

well, here in the modern world where I live everything at the store has a bar code and few if any items actually have a price sticker on them. the price is on the shelf by the item. why do you think Target and Wal-Mart have bar code scanners throughout the store?

1975 was 47 years ago. I go to 5 or more swaps every year as a buyer. do the math. I would guess I have sold at 30 at least. again, it is a simple process for most people.
So the store displays the price for their customers- my point exactly! We agree on that.
And I don’t doubt you have plenty of experience with swap meets. You’ve probably forgotten more about bicycles than I’ll ever know. What is important is the distinction between what you have made and what you may have missed out on and why. 30 years worth is a lot of sales, but have you considered how many potential sales you missed out on because they walked? Again, you run your business the way that you want- I’ve got nothing against that. But please don’t treat anyone as if they are crazy for simply wanting to know the price of an item. In many ways it makes things easier for the seller. You seem like a no BS kind of guy, and I’d imagine simply pricing your items up front would reduce that. This is all I am trying to say- not trying to get into an internet argument over it

when you see an item with no price keep on walking if that bothers you. you were not even born when I started selling, yet somehow I have done pretty good with my sales over the years with no advice from those without any experience.. perhaps you should only buy online so you don't have to talk face to face with actual humans like we used to do in the old days. that seems to be the issue.

I've never priced anything and neither have my swap meet buddies. that's just how it works.

I don't think you are crazy for wanting to know the price but you are indeed crazy for not asking.

Thank you Lisa / Jerry and crew for another great time and I found some great gems / deals,,,,,its a lot of work to put on the swap meet and I appreciate it very much ,,Thanks to every one for the deals and talking with good friends

when you see an item with no price keep on walking if that bothers you. you were not even born when I started selling, yet somehow I have done pretty good with my sales over the years with no advice from those without any experience.. perhaps you should only buy online so you don't have to talk face to face with actual humans like we used to do in the old days. that seems to be the issue.

I've never priced anything and neither have my swap meet buddies. that's just how it works.

I don't think you are crazy for wanting to know the price but you are indeed crazy for not asking.

Okay, if you say so. Again, I’m not doubting your experience, and if you and your swap meet buddies have had success with that technique then more power to you. But I’ve been to plenty of swap meets where the prices are marked and that obviously works for them, and I think there’s a sizable number of people that attend swap meets and probably appreciate that. Also, I’m not one to keep walking when I don’t see a price. I’ll always ask if it’s possible. All I’m saying is there are plenty that don’t ask or don’t want the hassle of asking. And I doubt it has anything to do with not wanting human interaction. Heck, they got their butts to a swap meet so at least they made it that far. For whatever reason they want to see a price and will make their own decision based on that. That’s their style- call it target fixation or wanting to minimize hassle or just preferring to expedite the purchase process. But their money spends as good as the ones that like to negotiate.

all of your talking points are without merit.

as a buyer you should not want anything marked. that is how you get the good deals. if an item is marked at 25% of it's proven value it will be purchased before you even get out of bed by resellers.

So you’re in the business of losing money? Because if your buying strategy=selling strategy it seems to me that you are. Hear me out- I’m not here to discuss negotiations or game theory or price discrimination with you, or supply and demand or whatever else you want to delve into. You can do your thing and other folks will do theirs. Obviously you’re sales strategy has met with success and I’m glad you seem to enjoy doing that. Keep on rocking! I’m out

I my experience some of the people that price everything are in it just for the money not the hobby and I keep hearing about missed sales but isn't it more important that you found something you needed while you were away from your spot! and with cell phones every question is just a text away!

Last edited:
Back