When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercury Pacemaker Frame Question

-

What do you have?

• Total voters
From what I've seen the frames that take shims are earlier and the ones that don't are later. This would correspond with the other Murray built models. Looks like the change happened for the 1940 model year? Seems the fenders were changed ~the same time?
@fordmike65 : didn't you start a thread a while back on this?
Hi. I'm new sorry didn't see this was already a topic. Freqman said his is a '41 and it has the additional clamp style. I was thinking maybe the opposite. The early ones are like my red one. It looks a little weak and they may have snapped if the seat post was to high. Hence they added that extra support???

For the sake of reference, is this bike all orig or assembled from parts?
My black and chrome is the best parts I could put together. The red is a restored western flyer branded model I bought on eBay from toyman back in the mid 90's.

Hi. I'm new sorry didn't see this was already a topic. Freqman said his is a '41 and it has the additional clamp style. I was thinking maybe the opposite. The early ones are like my red one. It looks a little weak and they may have snapped if the seat post was to high. Hence they added that extra support???

My reasoning was this: the 1936-1940 Murray-built frames I've had and noted used the shim frame, and the 1939 Pacemaker ad shows shim frame.
Seems 1941 brought the "electroforged" seat-mast/clamp area using the 5/8" post w/o shims.
However, thinking back now, I had a 1941 boys Murray Elgin that used shims, and I think the 1941 Murray-built Miss America uses shims...? The Sears catalog shows both types of frames for 1941.
Now I'm thinking that both types of frames were made at the same time.
Another thing I've noticed from original Pacemaker-type bikes is that the fender differences seem to be consistent with frame style. Anyone else seen this?

1939_mercury_catalogue.jpg

My reasoning was this: the 1936-1940 Murray-built frames I've had and noted used the shim frame, and the 1939 Pacemaker ad shows shim frame.
Seems 1941 brought the "electroforged" seat-mast/clamp area using the 5/8" post w/o shims.
However, thinking back now, I had a 1941 boys Murray Elgin that used shims, and I think the 1941 Murray-built Miss America uses shims...? The Sears catalog shows both types of frames for 1941.
Now I'm thinking that both types of frames were made at the same time.
Another thing I've noticed from original Pacemaker-type bikes is that the fender differences seem to be consistent with frame style. Anyone else seen this?

1939_mercury_catalogue.jpg
What should I look for in these fender differences? I'm curious now. When I get home I'll have to look at the ones mounted and my extras. Maybe the non clamp style is a lower end frame model?

Here's 2 serials from my boys. ME 17786 and 24188. My extra girls frame was hard to read a little crusty and the brass from the welds is near the numbers it was four digits ME 1312
I'll dig the others out this weekend and post.

I'm curious what the ME stands for. Shortened the word ME rcury or M urray and the E...?

Back