When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meteor Pedal Overhaul

-

pedalpower17

Finally riding a big boys bike
Happy New Year to all fellow Cabers...our bikes are now all one year more cool! I'm trying to overhaul this pair of "Meteor 3N" pedals taken off a 1949 Schwinn girl. I'd like to remove the bearings and spindle from the pedal housing, but I'm doubting that the design allows it. That cap at the end of the spindle doesn't give the impression of being threaded. Any clues?

Metero Pedal.jpg

Last edited:
Hi , Unfortunately these were made not to take apart so..Clean all exterior surfaces of rust . spray out internals with grease cleaner . Finish internal spray with clean with CRC brake clean . blow out all residue with air . Inject grease into top and bottom of bearings ,work back and forth so grease gets into bearings. BAM ! done..

The bearings, spindle, cups and cones are not replaceable on these.
Just add a couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil and your good to go.
Unless, they are too far gone, then it's off to the round file they go.
Got it. Thanks for the confirmation.

Hi , Unfortunately these were made not to take apart so..Clean all exterior surfaces of rust . spray out internals with grease cleaner . Finish internal spray with clean with CRC brake clean . blow out all residue with air . Inject grease into top and bottom of bearings ,work back and forth so grease gets into bearings. BAM ! done..
Thanks. Any special tool you use for injecting grease into such tight space?

What I do is flush the bearing ends out a lot with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. I use a metal small pan, like a bread pan, to capture the cleaner. I will soak the pedals shafts in there, reuse the cleaner and keep dumping it in there, working the shaft around. When they flush clean, pack the crap out of them with fresh wheel bearing grease. this will take some patience and time. You have to get the dirt out of them or they will sound terrible, and ruin the bearings. I have done 4 sets this way and they work like new now. If you need someone to do them for you, let me know. You could mail them to me and I'll do them for you.
Deb

this will take some patience and time. You have to get the dirt out of them or they will sound terrible, and ruin the bearings. I have done 4 sets this way and they work like new now. If you need someone to do them for you, let me know. You could mail them to me and I'll do them for you.
Hi, Deb. I really appreciate the generous offer, but this is the stuff I really enjoy. After your comment, and the one from skidkingsvbc, what I'm hoping to learn is an effective way to inject the new grease. The opening to the bearings, especially on the crank end, is tiny. I was thinking of maybe a syringe with no needle in it. - Mike

Here is a tid bit of info.for ya all,,for those of you that know chainsaws,,at the end of the bar there is a sprocket which the chain wraps around,,and at that point there is a spot to inject grease into to keep the sprocket lubed(most people don't no or do it)but when I service our saws here at the shop I use a DUALCO CHAINSAW GREASE GUN..What I like about it is it comes in real handy for packing bearing cups,,ETC...on bicycles,,and you can fill it with your favorite grease,,It works wonders,,,and maybe someone can post a photo of it and you will understand more.They are made in Houston TX.USA
Rudy

Here is a tid bit of info.for ya all,,for those of you that know chainsaws,,at the end of the bar there is a sprocket which the chain wraps around,,and at that point there is a spot to inject grease into to keep the sprocket lubed(most people don't no or do it)but when I service our saws here at the shop I use a DUALCO CHAINSAW GREASE GUN..What I like about it is it comes in real handy for packing bearing cups,,ETC...on bicycles,,and you can fill it with your favorite grease,,It works wonders,,,and maybe someone can post a photo of it and you will understand more.They are made in Houston TX.USA
Rudy

Back