When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miami cranks

-

bentwoody66

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Are there 2 different Miami cranks? Are the chainring pins at different lengths between Miami specific and Merkel crank arms?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am thinking maybe so, unless I don’t know what I have. Not sure if Flying Merkel is wider than most, and other Miami-built narrower than most bikes. I have a Miami sweet heart with a narrow drive pin (5/16") and its offset distance is unlike other cranks and sprockets, it is 1.34" or about 1+11/32" (34.0mm) center to center.

I have seen what looks like a Miami sweet heart chain ring on eBay, (a lot with some new pedals and A&S clamps); it was mis-identified as a tandem, maybe because it happened to look similar a Colson sweet heart sprocket-crank assembly on another recent ad for a Colson rear-steer tandem (with 2 sprockets).

Last edited:
I got this at ML, the consensus was Davis. I think it is Merkel
800b688bb64d4aff8573dcf9fa12d9bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not sure, but if referring to one-piece crankarms, three different arms at least? "Flying Merkel" one piece crank arms seem advertised with only one style ring, a 4-hole kidney bean but thoughts are there were other ring designs made for this over-sized crank that came on Merkel machines. Not sure, but some suspect the simple 5-arm ring and/or other designs that had the 2" drive pin offset were on Merkels. Do not know if these "Merkel" cranks were used on other Miami models. They certainly only fit chainrings with a 1" (51mm) chainring hole opening and large, 10mm drive pin hole opening. Another one-piece crank Miami made was for a Sweetheart as AS mentions above. This sweetheart ring also has the large, 1" crank arm opening but short, 1-5/16 inch(11/32) (34mm) hole spacing.
Then there is the ring and crank below, supposedly Miami. It has a 15/16 arm opening, smaller 8mm drive pin hole and the odd 1-5/16" spacing similar to the Sweetheart below it.

1672081144213.jpeg

And a potential Merkel ring below with 2" pin spacing.
1672081092433.jpeg

All three together requiring different one-piece cranks.
1672081503371.jpeg

Left out for the real enthusiasts were the Center Drive setups that did run a single special crank arm. Only those lucky enough @New Mexico Brant to handle them can talk specifics about that arm. So 4 total single arm cranks? Not sure about the early teens & back d&j arms or crankset specifics as they don't show often.

Last edited:
Back