When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miami Star Chain Ring Help Needed Please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Can anyone please tell the dates each of these were used. The completely renickled one has a two piece crank and the extra part on the outside if the ring. The other with the original nickel has a one piece bayonet crank (renickled). Thank you for your insights.

31503F72-C840-452A-8692-7F91302A1665.jpeg

2DFCE77F-0408-42BC-A438-03457BF4CEE1.jpeg

3B36657F-8544-4E68-B1AD-A67D8DBABE5A.jpeg

A06C876D-ECEE-42BC-B9E4-15EDB6A7234B.jpeg

898D79D5-3567-477F-A793-D634BD52C733.jpeg

1B31C51A-8D3A-448B-8173-4006EFFF92D0.jpeg

I guess my question should have been: Has anyone seen a Miami three piece crank with this zoomorphic turtle shaft? Please notice two tiny holes on the turtle align with two holes on the chain ring.

The two chain rings are exact in every way except two. The re-nicked ring has the two small holes that align with the shaft turtle and secondly, the crank pin hole is much larger in the original nickel version.

Provenance: these originally came from Neil Bailey who got a hoard of used Miami parts at some point (please do not contact Neil, these have all been sold years ago). I was one of the benefactors of this plunder and purchased an entire box of the earlier-type multiple screw and bottom bracket assembles. The last owner of these chain ring units purchased them from Neil; the completely re-nickeled bottom bracket came assembled as shown when he purchased it. For the Miami gurus, is this crank and bottom bracket assembly Miami? If so what year? Or is it thought Neil, or another previous owner, united the crank assembly with the chain ring? If so, has anyone seen a Miami star chain ring with a much smaller crank pin hole and two additional smaller holes within the pentagon shape on the ring?

A73A76FD-4503-41AE-8F74-6FEAF1CB0779.jpeg

62F5A1E7-5C3B-446A-B802-BE8BC35AAA72.jpeg

F4245353-8BF7-4B96-A64C-AFAED54A6CE6.jpeg

308D3748-F44A-4769-AB63-9662754BE3D4.jpeg

9DC2AF0D-26AA-433E-A90E-64BFCCBF3CD3.jpeg

4513952E-EEDA-4D94-AC77-36373E08A12F.jpeg

8D99810B-F38C-4883-A7E3-A6FA846C9856.jpeg

8E531D75-DDAF-4FB1-B2C1-5B8B5221757E.jpeg

39514281-865F-4BA3-AA7A-B964D696A1DE.jpeg

Last edited:
BTW ... would not mind seeing this whole thread moved to the Merkel / Miami Thread ....... ( ? ) @New Mexico Brant
Patric, it would be fine if this gets moved to the Merkel/Miami Thread.

My issue is the Merkel/ Miami now has 97 pages. This thread, and others like it, plumb-full of detritus, driftwood, and dead fat that should be trimmed by a moderator or assigned "forum editor" of the page. Honestly it, and the Davis, are my two favorite sticky threads. Yesterday I started going through to see if I can find a single post mentioning this odd "turtle crank" assembly. It has become grueling looking at because:

1. Posts with dead pictures
2. The "hi Patric, Carlton, or whoever" someone wishes to greet. Even better: "Is that your dad?, or "Which Maynard Dixon brother did you work for?" Some of this is best left for private messaging.
3. The "was that on Ebay" posts, and then the additional posts by every guy who lost the auction stating they missed out because of the bent fork, or it was too expensive, etc. One colleague posted twice the dent, or said bend, was the reason he bid low?! We get the point; to us, the reader the optics are: you are trying to make the buyer feel bad because you did not bid high enough and are now sad you lost the bid.
4. The posts by the man-boy who's feelings got hurt because his bike wasn't Miami so he took his baseball bat and went home, and eliminated all photos so his posts mean nothing anymore.
5. My Central Pennsylvania neighbor: "Look, the UPS driver delivered a box!"
6. etc. etc.

I got up to page 22 or 23 and just gave up on this quest. Many people do not understand the sticky threads are being created out of a scholarly pursuit to advance all our knowledge in the bicycle field. In my opinion we do not need words that do not contribute within these threads. I completely understand why Paul Genero did not want commenting in the original photo thread.

I think to better the CABE experience, it would behove Scott, Dave, and the very few active mods to assign a person or maybe a handful of "forum editors," that periodically have access to specific threads, to eliminate all this detritus.

Last edited:
Patric, it would be fine if this gets moved to the Merkel/Miami Thread.

My issue is the Merkel/ Miami now has 97 pages. This thread, and others like it, plumb-full of detritus, driftwood, and dead fat that should be trimmed by a moderator or assigned "forum editor" of the page. Honestly it, and the Davis, are my two favorite sticky threads. Yesterday I started going through to see if I can find a single post mentioning this odd "turtle crank" assembly. It has become grueling looking at because:

1. Posts with dead pictures
2. The "hi Patric, Carlton, or whoever" someone wishes to greet. Even better: "Is that your dad?, or "Which Maynard Dixon brother did you work for?" Some of this is best left for private messaging.
3. The "was that on Ebay" posts, and then the additional posts by every guy who lost the auction stating they missed out because of the bent fork, or it was too expensive, etc. One colleague posted twice the dent, or said bend, was the reason he bid low?! We get the point; to us, the reader the optics are: you are trying to make the buyer feel bad because you did not bid high enough and are now sad you lost the bid.
4. The posts by the man-boy who's feelings got hurt because his bike wasn't Miami so he took his baseball bat and went home, and eliminated all photos so his posts mean nothing anymore.
5. My Central Pennsylvania neighbor: "Look, the UPS driver delivered a box!"
6. etc. etc.

I got up to page 22 or 23 and just gave up on this quest. Many people do not understand the sticky threads are being created out of a scholarly pursuit to advance all our knowledge in the bicycle field. In my opinion we do not need words that do not contribute within these threads. I completely understand why Paul Genero did not want commenting in the original photo thread.

I think to better the CABE experience, it would behove Scott, Dave, and the very few active mods to assign a person or maybe a handful of "forum editors," that periodically have access to specific threads, to eliminate all this detritus.
I agree with you on these issues. Thanks for bringing it up, we'll see what we can do!

Back