When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid 20's Hawthorne Rust Project!

-

Lraybike

Finally riding a big boys bike
So I've been lazy about getting an update on the progress of my rusty purchase, but here it is! I've actually been done for two months now. First are some pics of what was delivered to me and I scratched my head and thought
of aborting the project. Was it too far gone??? So I put it together to have a look and clean a bit of dirt off. Cool looking but DAM! I looked at it for a couple days and thought... should I let it beat me or should I save her? I'm a big fan of challenges so the answer ended up being YES, I'll do it! When I cleaned back some rust I saw a great color combination (Med. sea grey/ Black with lighter grey pins) and a crazy serial # "0" ? no other stampings. The center of the crank also had a "0" stamped in the center? Whatever, I became determined to see what I could do using all the rusty parts that were delivered to my door. End Of Part 1
photo.jpg

Well, Here it is!

Unfortunately I'm pretty lame about progress photos along the way. I just can't be bothered sometime, I'd rather just keep working and in my mind I think..."I know what the process is, what do I want to look at those pics for!"
Anyway, I was able to use every part it came with except I did need one wood clad rim (rotten) and the pedals. Oh, I was able to track down some NOS 12 1/16" torrington double-butted spokes.

photo 1.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 5.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

Wowzers!!!!!!! Love it Lawrence....you've been a busy beaver there...

Hot bike

Back