When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid 30’s Hawthorne Snowflake Ring/ Crank

-

Rides4Fun

Finally riding a big boys bike
Looking for a 30’s snowflake ring, crank, and bearings to fit my mid-30’s Hawthorne Motobike. Trying to find a ring and crank with about 50-60% percent or better plating left to go on a bare metal frame project. Thank you for checking out my post and please PM me with any set-up that you may have.

Thank you for your suggestion mrg 😊 Don’t know why I didn’t think about adding a photo since it’s better than words. I’m looking for the ring and crank as shown in the photo and in similar condition.

8E5E8293-767F-41B3-A205-F183136FB9DD.jpeg

Did you ever find a Hawthorne head badge to fit your 1936-X double bar drop frame built by Snyder; because some DP Harris head badges might also fit?

The snow flake pattern chain ring sprocket goes back further to the La Porte Indiana Great Western Mfg. company and to the Pennsylvania Reading Standard company before that.

Also, MW Hawthorne bicycles may have sported an eight swirl pattern (“a new tear drop design”) on their Snyder or CWC built bicycles at that time.

The chain ring sprockets most commonly come in 26-tooth; with 22-T and 24-T being less common.

By 1936, the double drop bar frame may have been less popular, or otherwise relegated to back pages (if any) of the brochures or catalogs.

Last edited:
Hi Archie,

I did pick up a badge and it’s the M over W one that looks like it was used on ‘34 and ‘35 Motorbikes, thanks for asking and for your recommendation about maybe being able to use a D. P. Harris one. I picked that one since a photo of the frame I bought before it was stripped shows it wearing that badge and also sporting the snowflake chain ring. My frame has the curved top bar and straight bottom bar.

Do you know if the swirl-pattern chain ring was used on the Hawthorne Motorbike model before 1936? Only asking since I was making a guess that the frame I have is pre- 1936, but I am still very much a newbie to this hobby and appreciate learning what I can

Thank you,

Barry

Bump it up.....still looking for a complete bottom bracket and crank set for my mid-30's Hawthorne, Snyder built bike with about 50% to 60% plating left. I did pick up a skip tooth chain ring and crank arm for about a '38 to '40 Hawthorne, so I would be interested in a the remaining parts needed for the assembly or a complete "drop-in" offering that would work to help to complete my project that includes a chain ring, crank, and everything else. Thank you, Barry

Last edited:
Back