When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mid 30's silver king question

-

beachcrab

Look Ma, No Hands!
i just acquired a montgomery wards silver king (but it won't be delivered for a week or so..), and in making some plans for this bike i was thinking about installing a sachs 2 speed IGH, so wondering if anyone knows the OLD specs for the silver king?
s-l1600.jpg

There is a Silver King book you can buy that will help with your question. If you plan on doing a custom build what “specs” are you specifically seeking to know? @ratrodz @Glenn Rhein can both help you out with parts or information.

I think the biggest consideration would be the width of the Sachs hub. I would not feel comfortable trying to bend the dropouts on one of these. V/r Shawn

thank you for that book recommendation... just grabbed a copy off ebay. i don't want to cold set the frame, so thinking about either a shimano 3 speed or 2 speed kick back hub.

There is a Silver King book you can buy that will help with your question. If you plan on doing a custom build what “specs” are you specifically seeking to know? @ratrodz @Glenn Rhein can both help you out with parts or information.
He’s basically asking for the hub width specs. I can measure out both the rear drop outs and a original hub if you’d like.
I think the biggest consideration would be the width of the Sachs hub. I would not feel comfortable trying to bend the dropouts on one of these. V/r Shawn
Completely agree! You can move them a little, but I wouldn’t force them open to accept a wider hub. Duralium =fragile.

@beachcrab looks like you’ve acquired a 35 model. Got any pics of the serial numbers? They’d be on the left rear drop outs.

Back