When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid 80's Raleigh elkhorn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marky967

'Lil Knee Scuffer
think theres any value to it?? super clean bike almost as if it was new still.

08180295081100-1.jpg

081802950812001-1.jpg

08180295081301-1.jpg

08180295081401-1.jpg

Are you sure that's a MTB? It looks too clean! You might contact first flight bikes about it. They have a MTB museum. The other alternative is put it on eBay and let the market decide. Looks like a nice rider

84 So clean. Weren't these designed by John Olson? Nice find. Some value in the Suntour parts. Possibly the bike is worth enough to buy the kids college textbooks for the quarter. Mountech came out in 83. Had some der. pulley rapid wear issues when used in adverse conditions and became obsolete within a year. At the same time Shimano came out with their first XT (Deerhead) Mtb. line and began dominating the Mtb component market.

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Raleigh.html

Memories

Ah yes. The Elkhorn was my first mountain bike. I remember riding down a gravel road in the Bighorn Mountains. Very stable with it's 69 degree head angle but not very nimble. Replaced the MountainTech derailleur though I don't remember why.

Nice bike! I really like 80's mountain bikes- pretty much the same long wheelbase and slack steerer geometry as a ballooner, but a LOT lighter. I think they make great city bikes and commuters. And yours is a nice tall frame too, from before the fashion for a foot of seatpost showing came around. Is it valuable? There's only one way to find out and it's too big for me.

Bumping this thread back.

The mid 80's "Mountain Tour" series from Raleigh USA were great! The Crested Butte (top), Elkhorn (next model down), Teton (mid range), and Tamarack (1984 only mid range that inexplicably used 650B wheels) are all solid bikes. (The lower end ones were okay as well, but used those long-reach caliper brakes usually seen on department store mountain bikes.)

I've owned a 1984 Crested Butte for a few years. I've tried to get rid of it, but I just can't seem to part with it! It's dressed as more a city/commuter bike. I liked the original Bullmoose bars, but with the super-long top tube (23 inches!) I could never make it work.

22830471299_4fe286de5c_z.jpg

And wondering what the OP did with that nice Elkhorn. Sell? Keep? They basically became inactive on this board right after they posted this one.

Back