When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Middle weight bikes definition

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

75 Bronco

Finally riding a big boys bike
General question regarding what constitutes a middle weight cruiser bike. Ive read that a 1955 Roadmaster is considered a middle weight , but is in the same classification as Schwinn Phantom, Monarks, Higgins and other bikes I thought were considered heavy weights. Any thoughts/clarification? Thank you

26” x 1.75” middleweight tires; in the ‘middle’ between 2.125” balloon (or later super balloon) tires, and 1+3/8” lightweight tires.

(2.125 + 1.375) / 2 = 1.75

Last edited:
A bikes classification is all about the tire size and it has nothing to do with the weight of a bike.

Balloon.................... 2.125 tires
Middleweight.........1.75" tires
Welterweight........... 1-1/2" tires
Lightweight............ 1-3/8",1-1/4" and smaller tires

Welterweight? I knew there were boxers in that class, but I didn't know there were bikes. I like it!
It turns out that I have a welterweight and didn't even know it.

also, a "Cruiser" is usually meaning a 2.125" tired Balloon cycle (aka Beach bike)

There definitely seems to be some overlap between the late 50's and early 60's.

A bikes classification is all about the tire size and it has nothing to do with the weight of a bike.

Balloon.................... 2.125 tires
Middleweight.........1.75" tires
Welterweight........... 1-1/2" tires
Lightweight............ 1-3/8",1-1/4" and smaller tires
Frame sizes are different though. A lot of 26" Schwinn Cruisers have Balloon tires on them but the frame has middleweight dimensions.

Back