When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Middleweight Tires?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Centurion

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have the 26 X 2 X 1/34 on my 2 speed American, it rides nice and has pretty good speed. I have been actually riding this bike on longer rides lately, and was curious if the 26 X 1 X 1 3/4 tires would help for speed, drag etc? (I have a new set). They are skinnier for sure, and would give the bike a more lightweight look, but a few more MPH and efficiency would be welcomed.

I really doubt going to a tire that's a wee bit skinnier will result in much difference if any at all. Tire pressure will do more for you so keep them at the max or even cheat a little if you have good tires and tubes.

Changing the chain ring and rear sprocket will do more for you if you’re looking for speed. Quickness - acceleration - comes from a small (fewer number of teeth) chain ring and a large (greater number of teeth) rear sprocket. You’ll be the first to reach top speed but that won’t be very fast. A larger chain ring and a smaller rear sprocket will be slower accelerating but once you get moving, your top speed will be greater. A lot depends on you leg strength and endurance - how quickly can you turn the pedals and when does the lactic acid burn set in? The first big boys bike I had was a Frankenbike made from an older boy’s frame with a big chain ring and a rear wheel off a girl’s bike. I was always way behind when the light turned green but was the first to the next light a mile away. That gearing also built up the leg strength that allowed me to attend college on a track scholarship as a sprinter.

Last edited:
Back