When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mike Taylor Mike1484 Responding To Post Regarding My Ebay Chainguards For sale

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mike1117

Finally riding a big boys bike
This is my first post here. I have never bought, sold, listed anything on the Cabe since it went online so many years ago, but started lately to look at it every few months as I am still involved with bikes, mainly Schwinn Stingray type bikes. I was quite surprised and disappointed when I saw someone make a post in reference to a chainguard I had for sale on Ebay my username being mike1484 which I have used for 20+ years on Ebay. This person's post on the Cabe just stating the following, Schwinn Stingray Original Paint Screen Wingtip chainguard on Ebay that showed a photo of the guard and Ebay listing number. Nothing else was shown or stated in the original post. The post did not ask any questions, or attempt to answer any questions. This post in my opinion serves no purpose other than to hope others will respond regarding the high price of the guard and start an unfriendly spirited thread. No, it was not started to be helpful or ask or answer a question which is what this forum should be about, but to hope to start a thread directed against a single person who turned out to be me. If someone has the time to make these posts, why not post about items for sale which are incorrectly represented which would help those who might might not see what is a misrepresented or incorrectly represented item or something helpful. To the credit of the Cabe members, only 2 people replied to the initial post. In regards to my prices on Ebay, yes they are high. In regards to Ebay, in my opinion it is not a place to look for bike bargains, it is mainly a place to look for a part or parts needed to complete a bike project you may have, or if you have a lot of money to purchase complete bikes. There are no bargains on Ebay as it is open to everyone worldwide and items end up selling for top dollar. One could look up a violet Ramshorn guard that sold a month ago with both brackets unattached that I wanted for a bike I have, so I bid $533 on and did not win the guard. Prices are high on Ebay. The bargains take some legwork like going to swaps, flea markets, garage sales, searching the old fashioned way, not in typing words into a search bar. All the bikes in my personal collection I have personally gone and picked up myself, never buying a complete bike on Ebay or having a bike shipped to me. I tell people that before the internet a person wanting a nice Stingray could have money burning a hole in there pocket but not find anything to buy. Now with the internet a person with money does not have to leave their home and they can have the nicest collection of just about anything they wish including bikes. All that said I am trying to get top dollar on my chainguards, most of which I have had for over 20 years, and why they are on Ebay.

I just did not like the post directed at me and probably against my better judgement feel like I have to defend myself and say something about myself instead of shrugging it off and forget about it which would probably be the wiser decision as I have seen posts like this turn bad. I have been involved with Stingrays for the past 30 or so years not counting the new Flam Lime Deluxe Stingray I was fortunate to get from my parents in 1964. I used to subscribe, have ads or posted in all the hardcopy publications including the Stingray Newsletter, The Cabe, Hemmings, local papers, I had huge phone bills back in the day when it cost some money to call long distance (remember phone cards), when send me a photo meant you got out your camera, took photos, had them developed and sent them off by mail to who requested them, unless you had a Poloroid camera and you could skip having photos developed. And these photos were lucky to show what color a bike was let alone fine details like we have today with digital photos and enlarging. I put on several bike swap meets and shows myself many years ago. My shows/meets were always free to buyers, sellers, everyone, I provided a free BBQ and drinks to all there, paid for the trophies myself, and opened up my homes to whoever needed a place to stay the night before. I remember a show I had at my home in Capitola CA down the street from the beach on July 4th 2001, Lots of great people showed up most of them I do not not know if they are still around and would be nice to hear from again. I have such good memories of that show where it started with a wheelie contest on the wharf with trophies going to the winners, then a bike ride through town with many of the bikes flying flags as it was July 4th, then a BBQ and bike show at my place with again trophies awarded. There was a dinner in town at a beachfront restaurant the night before with many people crashing at my place that night before the show. Great times. So when Covid hit and I was at home with a lot of time on my hands, I got back into the hobby doing some buying as well as selling. I thought I would sell off on Ebay some of the many guards and some other items that I had stored away decades ago on and was amazed at how high prices had gone up. Now through the years the hobby just does not seem as friendly as it once was and now I am just the guy with the high priced items on Ebay.
Anyway that was a lot to say about a post directed at me which I did not care for and maybe it would be wiser of me to just leave it alone and should know better as I get older. Thanks, Mike Taylor

Ignore the haters Mike. Glad you came out from Lurking status and are posting. I've known you for several years (22?) and you have always been a stand up guy in our little bike hobby. Your prices are set at what they should be in the eBay realm... and as you've always said, the right paint/patina'd matched chainguard is really what will make the bike pop, and make it that much better.

Indeed there are some real winners that like to make rude posts or replies, as I was also a recent victim on one of my rare posts.

Sounds like you're like me in that negativity, especially when participating in a hobby that is so much fun, does sometimes hurt.

Let's both agree to ignore the haters, as they will always be out there waiting for the chance to show their "expertise" at the cost of others.

Bashton

Thanks Bashton & Livmojoe
The first time I met John/Livmojoe was at a swap meet I put on over 20 years ago. John had not been collecting bikes for long it seemed, and was just soaking up all the info he could get. I also remember selling at that swap an original Grey Ghost of mine for a $1000, a good price back then. Now when I see him at swaps he is telling me things about bikes I never knew before. If anyone out there collects Skateboards, John skated for Santa Cruz Skateboards back in the day and if you look on the 80's Circle A Joe Lopes Monopoly skateboard deck that had the Monopoly spaces named after skaters you will see a monopoly space on the deck named Livmojoe Place after John. Now that is cool.

@mike1117
Don’t feel too bad. The post started about your chainguard back in February was posted by “member” Tomsjack. Tomsjack is actually a bot, not a real person, that posts eBay items on the CABE. There’s nothing personal about it. Dave Stromberger ( site super moderator) co-opted the bots function and has allowed it to remain on the site posting its eBay selections. There is a thread somewhere in that section that explains this a little better.
Glad to see your involvement on the CABE. Please feel free to post anything you care to share, don’t worry about the naysayers.

Last edited:
This is my first post here. I have never bought, sold, listed anything on the Cabe since it went online so many years ago, but started lately to look at it every few months as I am still involved with bikes, mainly Schwinn Stingray type bikes. I was quite surprised and disappointed when I saw someone make a post in reference to a chainguard I had for sale on Ebay my username being mike1484 which I have used for 20+ years on Ebay. This person's post on the Cabe just stating the following, Schwinn Stingray Original Paint Screen Wingtip chainguard on Ebay that showed a photo of the guard and Ebay listing number. Nothing else was shown or stated in the original post. The post did not ask any questions, or attempt to answer any questions. This post in my opinion serves no purpose other than to hope others will respond regarding the high price of the guard and start an unfriendly spirited thread. No, it was not started to be helpful or ask or answer a question which is what this forum should be about, but to hope to start a thread directed against a single person who turned out to be me. If someone has the time to make these posts, why not post about items for sale which are incorrectly represented which would help those who might might not see what is a misrepresented or incorrectly represented item or something helpful. To the credit of the Cabe members, only 2 people replied to the initial post. In regards to my prices on Ebay, yes they are high. In regards to Ebay, in my opinion it is not a place to look for bike bargains, it is mainly a place to look for a part or parts needed to complete a bike project you may have, or if you have a lot of money to purchase complete bikes. There are no bargains on Ebay as it is open to everyone worldwide and items end up selling for top dollar. One could look up a violet Ramshorn guard that sold a month ago with both brackets unattached that I wanted for a bike I have, so I bid $533 on and did not win the guard. Prices are high on Ebay. The bargains take some legwork like going to swaps, flea markets, garage sales, searching the old fashioned way, not in typing words into a search bar. All the bikes in my personal collection I have personally gone and picked up myself, never buying a complete bike on Ebay or having a bike shipped to me. I tell people that before the internet a person wanting a nice Stingray could have money burning a hole in there pocket but not find anything to buy. Now with the internet a person with money does not have to leave their home and they can have the nicest collection of just about anything they wish including bikes. All that said I am trying to get top dollar on my chainguards, most of which I have had for over 20 years, and why they are on Ebay.

I just did not like the post directed at me and probably against my better judgement feel like I have to defend myself and say something about myself instead of shrugging it off and forget about it which would probably be the wiser decision as I have seen posts like this turn bad. I have been involved with Stingrays for the past 30 or so years not counting the new Flam Lime Deluxe Stingray I was fortunate to get from my parents in 1964. I used to subscribe, have ads or posted in all the hardcopy publications including the Stingray Newsletter, The Cabe, Hemmings, local papers, I had huge phone bills back in the day when it cost some money to call long distance (remember phone cards), when send me a photo meant you got out your camera, took photos, had them developed and sent them off by mail to who requested them, unless you had a Poloroid camera and you could skip having photos developed. And these photos were lucky to show what color a bike was let alone fine details like we have today with digital photos and enlarging. I put on several bike swap meets and shows myself many years ago. My shows/meets were always free to buyers, sellers, everyone, I provided a free BBQ and drinks to all there, paid for the trophies myself, and opened up my homes to whoever needed a place to stay the night before. I remember a show I had at my home in Capitola CA down the street from the beach on July 4th 2001, Lots of great people showed up most of them I do not not know if they are still around and would be nice to hear from again. I have such good memories of that show where it started with a wheelie contest on the wharf with trophies going to the winners, then a bike ride through town with many of the bikes flying flags as it was July 4th, then a BBQ and bike show at my place with again trophies awarded. There was a dinner in town at a beachfront restaurant the night before with many people crashing at my place that night before the show. Great times. So when Covid hit and I was at home with a lot of time on my hands, I got back into the hobby doing some buying as well as selling. I thought I would sell off on Ebay some of the many guards and some other items that I had stored away decades ago on and was amazed at how high prices had gone up. Now through the years the hobby just does not seem as friendly as it once was and now I am just the guy with the high priced items on Ebay.
Anyway that was a lot to say about a post directed at me which I did not care for and maybe it would be wiser of me to just leave it alone and should know better as I get older. Thanks, Mike Taylor

Back