When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mike Wolfe designing bikes for FELT?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
I know of 2 people that became interested in old bikes after seeing the new "retro" bikes- my sister, who's family is now into old bikes...and Nick. Actually counting me, that makes 3. :)

----------naw man, I get it, it's all good.
If a few people get into the hobby via 'retro' exposure, it's a good thing.
like alot of things......a double edged sword.

Where I live? There are a TON of 'retro' bikes, since the beach lifestyle is very supportive of 'beach cruisers'.....
and when I see the thousands of these bikes? rolling up and down the strand here?
Anyone of those people could have chosen to buy 'vintage' rather than the easy 'consumer' route of walmart, bike shop, big retailers etc...

Way back when? when the whole thing started.......you didn't have that 'choice'......

you either bought vintage or you generally rode something completely modern and different from a 'beach cruiser'...
the 'new' beach cruisers of the time were stripped down Schwinn cruisers, Murray etc...

Now consumers do have a choice.....and the overwhelming majority opt for ? China.......

or Wolfes gimmick etc

Last edited:
Wolfe is Corporate America to a "T"...........
branding.......BS...........Self infatuation.........."Looky at me!" ........self absorbed narcissistic....etc etc.

anything for a buck

Like Jesse bad person James and his walmart 'china choppers'

the American consumer.......

easy prey.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's Mike, or the machine that is the network and the show, as he's actually really cool in person- he spent quite a bit of time talking to Nick at Davenport last year.

I think that bike has some very nice design features. There is a seat for everyone out there & it could give people a taste for the real thing. I think that I've heard something like "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ".

i heard an angry post,i beg to differ with your statement that everyone has an option of buying retro or vintage,thats not founded on fact,i feel alot of ppl can afford a $200,00 replica but not one of a"professional restorers vintage that prolly starts at$3500"as for as mike tooting his own horn are you not directly or indirectly tooting yours as well by BAD mouthing ppl who ride big box retro crusiers?also when you cal something junk have some specific examples to warrant your statement.i buy and refubish alot of 5 to 10 yr old inexspensive bikes that with less than $100.00 dollars worth of work work just fine for the casual rider,specific example'i recently bought a pacific schwinn,10 yrs old,original typhoontires,the brake arm was loose and turned up to the seat stay,took rear hub apart,no damage,regresed the entire bike,trued wheels,detailed,worked fine,original cost to me?$30.00,quite frankly im fed up with egotistical "professionals"bad mouthing anything but there high buck usually wall haning bies with generalized state ments about what ppl can affor to buy and what they should buy according to you.the high end restored bike is not in the demand it was 5 or 10 yrs ago,hope this post provides soom clarity for you!

I think it's a misnomer that Mike Wolfe "designed" this bike. Maybe chose a paint scheme and suggested stamping the saddle, picked out the fenders from what Felt produces already etc. It's just part of the Antique Archaeology Marketing (which the do pretty well I must say). I do like the paint scheme and I'll bet the bike rides pretty nice even if it's aluminum. The show is pretty neat, but mostly because I love seeing old junk! There's always plenty of interesting stuff on the show even if it's scripted and items are planted (if they are).

I highly doubt that Mike Wolfe designed this bike. Probably(as opposed to prolly)he signed off on its use of his company logo and approved of its appearance.

It's a nice looking bike, and I would buy one, if that is the type of thing I was looking for. Designer name brand stuff sells, and I'm sure this one will too.
Smart move for Antique Archeology. gets the name out there, and brings in a little royalty money at the same time.

As for a bike like this turning people on to vintage bikes. I doubt it. Maybe 1% will see the connection and convert, but most people will buy this bike because it is new, somewhat affordable, and good looking.

Well, I would say I MIGHT find something a bit more meritorious in Mike Wolfe had he had made his vast fortune selling his name, logo, designs, (whatever) rather than preying on the so obvious misfortunes of others- and then to televise it, yet. I realize we all have our opinions of the guy- mine is I find the guy (and his little troll of a sidekick) to be reprehensible, self-serving, opportunists. I'm sure there's many opinions to the contrary, but this IS the way they come across on my television.

I see elements of Shelby in the paint scheme, the rack looks like a 34-36 Westfield, and the frame has an upsweep like a bluebird (the "real" bluebird, sorry Nick) ;).

Here in central VA, I see a lot of mountain bikes, fancy road bikes, and fixies for the college kids...yes I do see these cruisers, but isn't the culture here so its not in my face...maybe different at VA Beach.
Personally, I don't care for these bikes, but they don't bother me either because:
#1 I don't need to fly in a flock
#2 If they weren't available, I might have more competition in the older stuff which is in very short supply.
I have difficulty selling lower priced and ladies vintage balloon tires, so I might have a bigger audience, but I'll take the less competition over making some short dollars.

As to Mike, I enjoy the show and if there is one person, I'd like to have lunch with for a conversation, it would be him.
Chris

Back