When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Military paper work

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Got this from a friend a while ago thought id post this here.. bicycle or motor bike? What do you think?
20200405_164839.jpg

Hello,

Very nice. I presume bicycle as it says that. Motor cycles used gas which was strictly rationed. Nice piece.

Fred
Sparta

I would say bicycle like it says. The reason gas was rationed is so the military would have plenty of it so Fred's logic don't hold here. As a side note I was assigned a motorcycle while stationed in Korea that we carried in our track (M577). We were the comms for our unit and it was issued to be used as a courier vehicle. It was a Korean made dirt bike and rarely ran worth a crap but it was fun when it did! V/r Shawn

Thanks for that. I like it a lot.

452nd Bomb Squadron, part of 322nd Bomb Group, arrived in the UK in March 1943, stationed at Bury st. Edmunds, flying B26 Marauders. They had heavy losses, including one mission over Holland where they lost 11 out of 12 planes.

More here:

272471 isn't a G519 bicycle (the number is too high), but could be a reverse lend lease british bike such as a BSA. The USAAF received a huge number of these, far mor than all the G519 ever made.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Wow.. thats cool.. more history than i thought.. awsome.. wonder if its the 1st or second series paratrooper bike

Well, it's easy enough for you to check the s/n on your bike, but BSA was just an example of an english maker. It's likely that it was a standard framed bicycle, like the one on this photo in post 1708 I posted during the week:

To quote myself from another discussion:

The US received vast numbers of bikes from the British, but then an airfield establishment could easily be 3000 people. These bikes, when not stolen (a common complaint from the locals after the pubs closed), or privately purchased, were supplied by the British to the US under 'Reverse Lend-Lease', which offset the amount of equipment needed to be shipped from the US to Europe, and also the cost of Lend-Lease to the British.

To give you some idea of the number of bicycles involved, the '11th Report to Congress on Lend-Lease Operations', stated that up to July 31st 1943, 140,000 bicycles had been supplied by the British to US forces stationed in the UK. By 1945 this figure would have been many more. This is one reason for the relative scarcity of G519 in Europe; there was little need to ship them here. It may also be part of the reason for manufacture of G519 stopping in early 1944.

An example of the bikes is here:

Also, trying to register a stolen military bike (even if nicked from another nation's army) in wartime, especially as obviously military only as the BSA parabike, would be a fast track to a world of nastiness. (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back