When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Miller dual headlight bicycle light generator set from 1962

-
Price
Zipcode

schwinnlax

Finally riding a big boys bike
RARE Miller dual headlight bicycle light generator set from 1962. Genuine Miller dual or double headlight set including dynamo generator and taillight. Generator marked "MADE iN ENGLAND 6 VOLTS-3.3 WATT H MILLER R & Co Ltd". Tab on generator bracket marked "MADE IN GT BRITAIN 53-8P" Date stamp on bracket plate is 11 62, though the stamping on the 6 and 2 are light, but the marking indicates November 1962 production. Each headlight is marked "MADE IN GT BRITAIN" Tail light is marked on red plastic "B.S.2516 CYCLE MILLER MADE IN ENGLAND"

Light set is fully working. I used this on my 1963 Schwinn Traveler, but I'm now selling that bike, so decided to offer this light set separately. Here is information that a bike light collector provided me:

"What you have there is one of the rarest and most desirable of the Miller generator sets. That date stamp is actually November of 1962 ("11 62").

What they did was to get very creative with their tooling for the CombiLite headlights in order to produce a dual-headlight setup, as dual headlights were becoming a bit of a minor craze in the late 1950s and early 1960s, and Delta was already producing battery versions (which are of course very highly prized today).

Each headlight assembly is the same size and appearance as a CombiLite front-wheel block generator light, and uses the same internals and lens assembly, but the outer shells (front bezel and rear housing) are stamped with unique offset bracket openings and bezel hinge cutouts. Each bezel and each housing is the mirror-image of the other, and they are not interchangeable, as the mounting brackets are offset about 45° in one direction or the other, so that both mounting brackets can converge at one mounting bolt without the need for a bridge piece to tie them together. The opening hinges are also canted at opposing angles so that a pry tool can be fitted into each opening notch, and each lens can swing open away from the other.

The rear wheel hardware consists of a standard Miller Model 53 8-pole 3.3-watt generator and taillight, producing 3.0 watts for the front headlight (the taillight bulb uses the remaining 0.3 watts)."

Price is for local pick up. Actual shipping is extra, but probably only $10 to $15 depending on location.

Back