When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini ballooner

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

spomalley86

I live for the CABE
I need some help identifying what year this is from. I'm also wondering what light was found on the fender, i appreciate any guidance. Thanks
Sean

20200919_190042.jpg

20200919_190049.jpg

20200919_190056.jpg

20200919_190116.jpg

20200919_190134.jpg

20200919_190139.jpg

20200919_190216.jpg

20200919_190242.jpg

20200919_190139.jpg

Not sure but I think it's a Hawthorne that was sold at Montgomery Wards. That should clean up really well .I like it.

I need some help identifying what year this is from. I'm also wondering what light was found on the fender, i appreciate any guidance. Thanks
Sean

View attachment 1270003

View attachment 1270004

View attachment 1270005

View attachment 1270006

View attachment 1270007

View attachment 1270008

View attachment 1270009

View attachment 1270010

View attachment 1270011
It's a Cleveland Welding Company Road Master kids bike. From my understanding it's 40s-50s era. Now see it's adult female version

As far as a light it should have been something like this

At least mine was supposed to have it; the base was there

After serial number is ACw, The w is inside the C. CWC Dated 1952 With ACw52 so, It was made before then. The ACw is 49-50 accordingly, for the A. And for this Paint scheme, I expect it would be on the lower end possibly; late 48 or early 49. Can't see much of the drop out but what I can is typical on an ACw stamped frame.

After serial number is ACw, The w is inside the C. CWC Dated 1952 With ACw52 so, It was made before then. The ACw is 49-50 accordingly, for the A. And for this Paint scheme, I expect it would be on the lower end possibly; late 48 or early 49. Can't see much of the drop out but what I can is typical on an ACw stamped frame.
You're right from my understandings ; I believe my frame is stamped CW 43, skip tooth equipped and was all original as I can tell with the grease fitting hub & was original paint entirely until I stripped the fenders

By the fork scheme, I'd put that at '51 with a middle letter ACw serial. I had a 24" in the same and my '52 Roadmaster sported the same.
Just a hunch.

Erin

You're right from my understandings ; I believe my frame is stamped CW 43, skip tooth equipped and was all original as I can tell with the grease fitting hub & was original paint entirely until I stripped the fenders
Not so sure on your girl CWC. It looks similar but the Junior Fender paint scheme and drop outs do not not look the same. That Paint scheme on the Junior, the Darts or Chevrons, that style at fender tips is earlier . And I would not expect that chrome fork cap, on the Junior yet by 52, 3, 4 you'll see it. But, The diagonal dropout should be in earlier 1949/51 area.

Check your bottom bracket, after the serial numbers. On the Junior (this topic bike) is a clearly visible A and next to that A, you can just barely see the C and a small w is inside of it. It get's tricky from 1948/9 through 1951. Pre -war to post war has multiple differences in rear stays and diagonal drop outs. Fortunately in 1952 ya get a date '52Acw' Yet your dropout is horizontal. Think if you check a space after the serial numbers, you'll find 53 but maybe 54, and sometimes the ACw could be too thin to see or filled with paint, that is stamped and that would be the year for your girl bike. 53/54

Last edited:
Been too busy but looking back, a few errors or not exactly clear on the dating or how 52 and later is stamped or marked. I said "53AWc" but, the A represents 1949/-51 area. A 1953, 54, 55 etc. would not have an A rather, it should be '53Cw' Capital C with a w inside of the C. That Cw mark can be difficult to see. It can be ground down, filled with paint or such thin font most never even see it. Regardless, The year stamp is bolder so, while it can be difficult to see the Cw stamp, the date, 53, 4, etc. appears 1 space after the serial numbers where the Cw mark should follow the date.

Years ago Phil took on the task to make sense out of CWC's dating system. He summarized it a few times in notes or replies but did not complete the whole into a single publish. Maybe someday, somebody will sort it out and repost it. . Prob got P.O.-ed wit the populous and a minority who dug trenches in. IDK except in places like this, people can be quite vicious defending their old beliefs but are unsolved mystery's that have not been researched fully. Some D heads rather bicker than behave rational even today. . He pretty much solved it but, it's so long today, many did not show their serial numbers as asked and a great deal replies did not quote the message replying to. So, much is scattered through the years.. However, it just happens, of the 1st submissions well before he discovered or obtained a logical sequence in separating numbers and stamps on post war bikes., guess what? Your Dropout is photographed in 2008; . Bottom bracket
is dated 53 and dropout is the same as yours: " Ser # E86268 53. "https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cleveland-welding-s-n-project.2705/

100_0089-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Been too busy but looking back, a few errors or not exactly clear on the dating or how 52 and later is stamped or marked. I said "53AWc" but, the A represents 1949/-51 area. A 1953, 54, 55 etc. would not have an A rather, it should be '53Cw' Capital C with a w inside of the C. That Cw mark can be difficult to see. It can be ground down, filled with paint or such thin font most never even see it. Regardless, The year stamp is bolder so, while it can be difficult to see the Cw stamp, the date, 53, 4, etc. appears 1 space after the serial numbers where the Cw mark should follow the date.

Years ago Phill took on the task to make sense out of CWC's dating system. He summarized it a few times in notes or replies but did not complete the whole. Prob got P.O.-ed wit the populous and a minority who dug trenches in. IDK except in places like this, people can be quite vicious defending unsolved mystery's that have not been researched fully. . He pretty much solved it but, it's so long today, many did not show their serial numbers as asked and a great deal replies did not quote the message replying to. So, much is scattered through the years.. However, it just happens, of the 1st submissions well before he discovered or obtained a logical sequence in separating numbers and stamps on post war bikes., guess what? Your Dropout is photographed in 2008; . Bottom bracket
is dated 53 and dropout is the same as yours: " Ser # E86268 53. "https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cleveland-welding-s-n-project.2705/

100_0089-jpg.jpg

Back