When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini Twin

-

Jrodarod

I live for the CABE
So I just picked up this mini twin and would like to return it to it’s orig glory. My problem will be getting an original center seat. Is it a solo polo or something else. Do any of you Stingray Freaks have one for sale? History on the bike is that it belonged to a resort in Palm Springs and they had 20 red ones ordered.

C3D83B22-868E-41A2-A4A2-624709FA041D.jpeg

I've never seen a Red one. Custom factory color for the resort?

Added more pics to share. Paint is fading but all there. Interesting things I noticed.. you can see white paint under the red, chaingaurd decal does not say Mini Twinn and the original schwinn wheels were replaced by HD BMX wheels. According to the person I bought it from. All work was done by a schwinn dealer the resort would use to maintenance the bikes.

I was able to get a rear seat and wheels for the bike. Currently working on finding a center seat.

E658C818-D571-40FC-AF37-12309E27EB53.jpeg
D1360398-BD80-4A5D-87AB-B9F992C8E4D3.jpeg
D8B75645-5498-458A-9C2D-FBB0B3CF6612.jpeg
2E57898E-C7A0-4F50-9657-23213D2EED75.jpeg
ACF1F27B-FB88-419C-8B41-DAF906802B37.jpeg

3CB6C019-C0B7-4221-A68C-E9C08FFE2479.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool little bike, I'm certainly no expert or guru on these, but have done a little research on the ones I have. As far as I know, only campus green, coppertone, and sky blue?, we're made from the factory. Here's a little story I heard at a swap meet. An avid biker and prominent Schwinn dealer were very close friends, the avid biker was drafted for Vietnam and came home injured, he could no longer get his leg up over a full sized tandem
IMG_20150804_195654_211.jpg
to ride with his wife. The dealer pleaded with a higher up at Schwinn and helped design the Mini Twinn for the disabled veteran. Perfect solution for the disabled vet, but pricing a few dollars less for the mini, it was not feasible to continue production, hence only one year, 1968. Not sure how true this info is, nor do I know any of the parties involved, but I liked the story and they sure are cool little bikes! I've really enjoyed mine, and maybe someday I'll find a nice blue one to complete the collection. I'm sure dealers probably custom made these for customers that walked in and said I'll take 20 of them in this color, it is business after all. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share. P.S. I'm looking for two correct center saddles too, not easy too find, and not cheap when they do come up. Joe

I was also piqued on the red color. I had never seen one red, but thought that it would be pretty cool to have a red one, so.... I found a beat up green one locally that needed a new lease on life. It got one after sitting here for a few years. Completed in June of 2016.
Here's the before:
68 DD21579 A.jpg

And after:
68 T-31-2 Mini-Twinn.jpg

I still have the original rear fender and the repaired green chainguard, but was not happy with the repair (anal retentive) and the rear fender didn't clean up as nice as I wanted (again, anal retentive!) so I opted for other pieces. The chainguard was a full size one that was cut down and also has a nose piece from a 20" Typhoon guard as the front of the fullsize guard was damaged pretty bad (folded over itself). I thought the rear fender would look more cool as a normal Sting-Ray / Krate fender. They do not fit quite the same, and this one fought me for a while when trying to install it. Otherwise - there it is.

I'm waiting to see Alex's with the daughter and himself riding, and the more correct front seat installed! I hope I make it long enough to get my grand-daughters out on this one. One is old enough, but the other is a few years away.
REC

I was also piqued on the red color. I had never seen one red, but thought that it would be pretty cool to have a red one, so.... I found a beat up green one locally that needed a new lease on life. It got one after sitting here for a few years. Completed in June of 2016.
Here's the before:
View attachment 721372

And after:
View attachment 721373

I still have the original rear fender and the repaired green chainguard, but was not happy with the repair (anal retentive) and the rear fender didn't clean up as nice as I wanted (again, anal retentive!) so I opted for other pieces. The chainguard was a full size one that was cut down and also has a nose piece from a 20" Typhoon guard as the front of the fullsize guard was damaged pretty bad (folded over itself). I thought the rear fender would look more cool as a normal Sting-Ray / Krate fender. They do not fit quite the same, and this one fought me for a while when trying to install it. Otherwise - there it is.

I'm waiting to see Alex's with the daughter and himself riding, and the more correct front seat installed! I hope I make it long enough to get my grand-daughters out on this one. One is old enough, but the other is a few years away.
REC

Very nice !

Once I saw the Hotel Bike in Red,
I thought I need to do my Mini Twinn
in Red too !!!

I saw a black mini over the weekend and it also looked factory. It’s sitting in a window waiting for someone to take it home. ( Felix bike shop in Gardena CA )

The last one I had was blue , I don't hang on too them very long , they just stick out to far when I line up my bikes ....always looks WiErd.

The last one I had was blue , I don't hang on too them very long , they just stick out to far when I line up my bikes ....always looks WiErd.

Mine is stuck in next to a full size "Bicycle Built For Two" so it is actually slightly shorter than its' stablemate! LOL

REC

Back