When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minty 1980 Schwinn Cruiser 5 pick-up

-

jammer

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked this one up Saturday night, drove 20 minutes in a blizzard, Craigslist find. I thought the chrome had rust from the pictures but nicely surprised when I went to look at it, it was grease with dirt on it that I saw in the pictures. Only a couple very minor rust spots. The bike has maybe one or two paint chips, going to clean up real nice.
More money in the accessories than I paid for the whole bike, probably just keep the speedo with 53 miles on it.

The rack doesn't look right, maybe for a different size bike?

I need to find the correct seat or maybe a Brooks67, what you think?

I will try and find the right tires, that may be the hardest part or a tire recommendation?

Looks like the frame is stamped as April 1980 but I know on these later bikes you can tell the build date from the head badge, haven't figured that out yet.

Maybe someone here has some tires.

Thanks, jammer

IMG_2794.JPEG

It would be a stretch for me to call it minty, however, a very nice find that will clean up really nicely.

The seat is pretty easy to find.

The Cruisers did not come with a rack.

1669078199072.png

The seat is pretty easy to find.

The Cruisers did not come with a rack.

View attachment 1737092

If it"s a 80 for sure ( serial & badge # will tell ) it came with a Persons 3 spring ( 1 yr only ) but us big kids were bending them jumping and even tho Persons added ribs to the frame and replaced the seats ( parents were taking them back to the dealer ) Schwinn went back the Mesinger the next yr. you still find alot of bent Mesinger but were still rideable.

Back