When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing prices for sold items?

-
The prices are not missing; they were deleted; (the price of knowledge is not always free).
Some sellers prefer to do so, and yes it is not in the spirit of transparency, (which might not even be the buyers’ or sellers’ objective).
Technically, sellers are allowed to change sales ads, by adding, deleting or revising the sales terms and conditions; the site does not prohibit changes (including deletions).
Likewise, buyers can change wanted ads.
I guess that helping others in their market research, to the value of items bought and sold, is not in the interests of the sellers; and may even be contrary to their profit making objective.

Sometimes we read “stories” that a buyer allegedly requested that the “asking-for” prices be deleted.

Last edited:
The prices are not missing; they were deleted; (the price of knowledge is not always free).
Some sellers prefer to do so, and yes it is not in the spirit of transparency, (which might not even be the buyers’ or sellers’ objective).
Technically, sellers are allowed to change sales ads, by adding, deleting or revising the sales terms and conditions; the site does not prohibit changes (including deletions).
Likewise, buyers can change wanted ads.
I guess that helping others in their market research, to the value of items bought and sold, is not in the interests of the sellers; and may even be contrary to their profit making objective.

Sometimes we read “stories” that a buyer allegedly requested that the “asking-for” prices be deleted.
There should be an archive for each seller here, showing what they’ve sold.
Not necessarily the prices but the items.
This would help establish that the seller is trustworthy and more.

Deleting prices is one thing, but deleting what the item is, is pretty, pretty sketchy.

1630197395092.gif

Last edited:
One other thing to consider: you're assuming it sold for the listed price. If it went for a "best offer" type thing or someone took a trade, the listed price would not be accurate for purposes of generating comparable sale data.

If the prices aren't shown its not an archive anymore and we should just delete it "SOLD FOR" entirely because people are getting pissed when the prices aren't shown. We shouldn't be allowing this Scott. I think we know the people on here who do this so maybe we should just copy their ad when they first list an item and when its sold and they remove the price we just go in the "SOLD FOR" section and reply back in with the ad showing what they were asking for initially. More work for us thou. :(

I agree with Kirk. I use the search engine to find relative pricing as well. I’m not a price genie. I like to do some research to find what they’ve sold for in the past. I guess our solution is put stupid high prices then just gradually lower them till they sell. Agreed with what someone said above. The marked price may not be the sell price, but at least you have somewhere to start...

Deleting what the item is, is pretty sketchy.
We have seen posts with deleted or missing pictures in threads outside of the classified section too. Perhaps just starting with the pinned threads, the posts with pictures “gone” as well as their replies (nice bike) might be slated for review and elimination.

Last edited:
Back