When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mistral Convertible Frame to Floor pump

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I am curious if anyone might have some knowledge regarding a "Mistral" tire pump. Found in my bag 'o pumps, it is a pump that mounts to a frame, but it is used as a floor pump (folding foot stand and removeable "T" handle). Chromed steel body with screw-in extension hose (schrader valve). I think I bought it when visiting southern France, but it was many years ago.
I do not know the country of manufacture, or the years it was made. I am looking at mounting it on a bike from the '30s to pre-war '40s, and I would like to mate it to either an Italian (Gerbi) or French (Automoto) frame with some degree of chronological accuracy. I think it might be Spanish made, but basing that only on loose interpretation of writing on the unit. Excellent pump, high pressure (>90 psi) capable.

Photos to follow shortly.

@Jake1 I really like the design regardless of weight, nice long hose compared to similar frame pumps. I wish there was a modern lighter weight version of this design. Having the "T" handle really allows you to pump up a high pressure tire without any fuss. I cannot discern the script on the handle; maybe someone with better eyes can read it.
Here is the pump:
Assembled for use
20230621_010812~2.jpg

Storage configuration: approx. 40cm; 38cm compressed
20230621_010206~2.jpg

20230621_010038~2.jpg

20230621_010226~2.jpg

20230621_010107~2.jpg

20230621_010251~2.jpg

Thank you for the photos. I have never seen a pump like it, and I do not know what year it would be (40s?). I would agree that it would be a good design and if modernized with lighter weight materials would be a very good pump for general and touring purposes. I used to use my Silca frame pump with the head resting on the ground or stable surface to pump up my tires to a decent pressure (still well below the normal riding pressure, the pump would be bending under my effort to get a high pressure into the tire and I would use my gloves doubled up to keep my hand from being bruised by the handle so the t-handle is a great idea which I do see on some pumps, but no foot support and the pumps are so small it takes awhile to inflate (inadequately) a tire.
Did you happen to weigh it?

There is a Mistral frame pump on Velobase from France, but not same style or matching the logo script. French manufacture makes sense due to wind which blows through France named Mistral. Of course the Italians have Mistral named bike stuff also.

Hi @Jesper

Mistral isa fairly common name for pumps from France due to the association with the wind here. I have seen a lot of pumps marked like that, but have not figured out if it is a make, or just a general model. But I think a make.

At the moment here is one similar to yours for sale in the Alsace region of France here: https://www.toutvendre.fr/p/ancienne-pompe-a-velo-bicyclette-mobylette-mistral/17276684

They claim 1930's, but I suspect that's a guess. At €10 it's not bad. (-:

1688888735235.png

1688888785297.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @Jesper

Mistral isa fairly common name for pumps from France due to the association with the wind here. I have seen a lot of pumps marked like that, but have not figured out if it is a make, or just a general model. But I think a make.

At the moment here is one similar to yours for sale in the Alsace region of France here: https://www.toutvendre.fr/p/ancienne-pompe-a-velo-bicyclette-mobylette-mistral/17276684

They claim 1930's, but I suspect that's a guess. At €10 it's not bad. (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thank you Adrian. It appears to be the same pump, but handle is installed upside down.
I am going to use it on the Automoto, and although the bike may be earlier (early-mid '30s?) than the pump it will makr a nice pairing.

-----

as you likely discovered in your searches there be a current floor pump termed a Mistral which bears no resemblance to the subject pump

it is sold in conjunction with sales of inflatable floatation products

-----

Hi @juvela Yes I did. And not just pumps, it's a name associated with hot air blowers etc. due to the wind.

It's a very inconsistant and warm wind. I last encountered it in Avignon, whilst trying to eat baked camembert on a Bistro terrace, where it was busy blowing over the unoccupied tables. (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back