When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MIYATA 1200...a first for me

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Proof that Craigslist can still have some great deals from great original owners.

This little beauty was owned by someone who used to ride/race Track bikes at the Velodrome in Queens way back he told me. He's just a year or so younger than my 67 years, but rode a lot up until around 8 years ago. Double knee replacement has kept him off cycling as he told me he's still trying to get back to it but can't do solid rotations. He's still working on it, but not on a road bike.

So...he said it was time to let this one go, along with a Peugeot he had. He bought both new, but I was only interested in the Miyata. He had converted the brake levers soon after buying the bike (which threw me when I saw the photo he posted) because of the cables. Otherwise, the bike retains all of its original parts (sans tires and tape) including that huge water bottle holder. I know the bike came with one to fit it, but I forgot to ask about it.

I assumed and he agreed it was about a 1982/83 model. I suppose a serial number will clear that up when I get to posting it.

When it came time to hand over the cash, there was no way I intended to haggle on the price. Bike has been meticulously maintained throughout its life, and the owner, Paul, was just a genuine great person. I was very happy to give him the $100 he was asking for. :)

Enjoy the barrage of "before" photos I took...

IMG_7284.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg

IMG_7287.jpg

IMG_7288.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7290.jpg

IMG_7291.jpg

IMG_7292.jpg

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7295.jpg

IMG_7296.jpg

IMG_7297.jpg

Lovely - I expect you'll be changing the tape back to brown? Really sweet color combo.

Edit: I (not so) secretly like gum wall tires on the appropriate vintage. I think they compliment this bike better than anything else I've seen.

Yes the tape will be brought back to original and I have no idea why the original owner chose this gold

-----

Spot on with dating.

Those topmount shifters bracket a machine narrowly to the 1982-83 time.

-----

Back