When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miyata 610 tourer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

WVBicycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
My father scored this Miyata 610 tourer in a bulk buy of bikes earlier in the week and I am thinking of taking it off his hands for my personal collection. I don't do any serious touring but to have one is always a great option for on or off road riding. I had a Scwhinn Le Tour Luxa a few years back and it was a bike I regret selling but I needed to make space and money for my 2015 Cannondale Synaspe disc. I've bought and sold a lot of Miyatas over the years but I've always wanted one for my collection . This bike doesn't need much some new tires, new brake levers, maybe some Koolstops, a Brooks leather saddle and some racks. I was also debating maybe a flat bar option with some thumb shifters. I will have more pics tomorrow before I start this project.
34025892774_bf88ebe492_k.jpg

It would make a great utility bike - it has bosses for a rear rack, and with cantis VO makes cost-effective front racks.

What are the largest tires it will fit?

Last edited:
Very nice . Like Bulldog1935 stated, VO makes a nice front rack at a good price .With those cantis your options are many when it comes to racks,fenders,etc . Keep us posted as you progress please.

The wheels on there now are 27" which means a limited tire size selection I think I got a pair of 700c wheels off a hybrid hanging around I could toss which would give me more tire size options . I am thinking of ordering some Cane Creek aero brake levers to replace the original ones on the bike , I also have some 1st generation Shimano Dura ace bar cons in my stash of parts. Then maybe some VO hammered fenders and various other goodies. I kinda want a bike I can ride on fire roads and on pavement so I think this bike has the potential do it with ease. I will keep you guys posted on the build and will have more pics of the bike as it sits in next day or so.

That's a great sport tourer. I have one as a project bike at the moment that I'll be making into my gravel race bike. Keep the stock wheels if there is nothing wrong with them. They're high quality sealed bearing hubs and have a nice thick axle so you don't have to worry about them bending like other freewheel hubs of the day.

Yours looks like mine which is a 1985 triple butted splined chromo frame. Imagine buying one of those new today! Good keeper. I wouldn't be bastardizing mine if it were in the same shape yours is. The paint on mine is really rough and one of the cable guides needs replacement.

Panaracer paselas are nice 27" tires.

I have a 1989 1000LT. Really nice bike, but my knees hate it for some strange reason.

probably saddle adjustment, either up/down or front/back (or both)

As far as altering the bike, I wouldn't hesitate to make it exactly the custom I wanted. The frame is that good, and buying its equivalent in a new frame is $2000 for just the frame.

I am thinking new tires most likely Panaracer Pasela's, Cane Creek aero brake levers, Kool Stop pads, swap out the pedals, Brooks leather saddle, Brooks leather bar tape, racks and some bags. As I start the bike I will add more goodies,. I was able to take a few more pics of the bike today but the quality isn't the greatest due to the lighting.

34774785641_e56271b9e4_z.jpg
34774775601_eb26e12b71_z.jpg
34063468744_3bdf7ec218_z.jpg
34063480224_f2f2312094_z.jpg
34774791101_6e410fcf36_z.jpg
34095727233_6efdf3f820_z.jpg

After finishing my LeMond city bike I decided to dive into my Miyata which I completely tore down to the frame. I sprayed the internals with frame saver, cleaned and waxed the frame. I also started lining up replacement parts such as the a Sugino VP triple crankset, Suntour Superbe Pro pedals, frame pump, front and rear racks (all not pictured). Earlier in the week I ordered some goods from Modern Bike such as Panaracer Pasela's, Cane Creek SCR 5 brake levers, red Kool stop pads and some Brooks non leather micro fiber bar tape which all came in today. I figure I keep everyone posted on this project I still have to overhaul the BB and headset which will get done in the next few days. After all the bearing work is done the build will begin.

35079176815_9346cfef63_z.jpg

34948545981_3061c277fb_z.jpg

34691941940_1acab48756_z.jpg

Today I was able to repack the BB and headset bearings with fresh grease. I also got the chance to do some research my 610 is an 1983 the weight of a 58cm same size as mine is 26.5lbs and is 1.5lbs lighter then the 1000 model . With all the heavy work done I will be it putting back together this weekend and hope to have the finished product by sunday late afternoon.

Back