When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Model 1588 Iver Johnson Arch Truss Roadster -- To refinish or not to refinish

-
If you have a milling machine or have access to one, you can mill out the die with an access hole to punch out the washers. You can also machine a pin with the same profile as the washer to hydraulically press the washers into the die. Make sure that the washers are lubed when pressing into the die.

It seems odd to me that they would sell the rims without making the spoke holes fit the washers properly. I think that once they are in the hole, they are fine either way. I would think that the point in would be better than the point out. Either way when the spokes are tensioned, the washer will probably conform to the nipple and rim. To get the best advice, I would ask CB Italia, since they make the rims, they are the experts. If they have trouble with English, I can write to them in Italian for you. I would recommend not believing what everyone says on the cabe, some of us have very little experience and are quick to answer questions and make suggestions.

To me it seems the way I put them in would prevent pullout and they do press in easily when done that way. Three sources two of which supply the rims and build them on a regular basis have said to put them in the other way. The washers do engage the nipple MORE the way I'm being told to install them. The washers themselves appear to be pretty cheaply made which may be the reason for the poopy fit.

Im sure the longer I wait to build the more people will chime in. I just didn't think there should be that much prep to install a washer. CBs website doesn't say which way to put them together either. I'll email them and see what they say. Probably something like "doesn't matter if you use two washers per spoke."

washers

I think you may be slightly over thinking this one...... It is not a huge deal. CB Italia as well as Ghisallo all provide washers that are (kind of) cheap ( other than the oval washers supplied by Wheel Fanatyk for the carbon rims ). What you have done will work fine as along as the wheel is protected from the spoke pulling through the rim. Your not building a performance rim - but you do want your rim to be strong, reliable and fit for purpose. I tried for quite a long time to find better quality washers - but could not find anything that was cost effective. The other thing to remember is that the wood wheels are dynamic and the tensions are lower than other wheels - so try and make what ever you do symmetrical. As you have already poppped them into place and seem unable to get them out with ease I might be inclined to leave them. Do you have the option of putting the second washer over your existing washer in the correct manner?

I came to that same conclusion last night when I was taking photos of my 100 year old rim washers and thinking to myself...does it matter that much? :)

Anyway I think I'll continue the build as is because the washers are pretty much well seated and in for good and the second washer will fit into place just fine with a little pressure.

For those of you curious about new and old, pics are below along with the reason I installed my washers what we'll call "backwards".
photo.jpg
photo(1).jpg
photo(2).JPG
photo(3).jpg
photo(4).JPG
photo(6).jpg

Thanks again for the advice!

I think you may be slightly over thinking this one...... It is not a huge deal. CB Italia as well as Ghisallo all provide washers that are (kind of) cheap ( other than the oval washers supplied by Wheel Fanatyk for the carbon rims ). What you have done will work fine as along as the wheel is protected from the spoke pulling through the rim. Your not building a performance rim - but you do want your rim to be strong, reliable and fit for purpose. I tried for quite a long time to find better quality washers - but could not find anything that was cost effective. The other thing to remember is that the wood wheels are dynamic and the tensions are lower than other wheels - so try and make what ever you do symmetrical. As you have already poppped them into place and seem unable to get them out with ease I might be inclined to leave them. Do you have the option of putting the second washer over your existing washer in the correct manner?

Among other things, I am a carpenter. I use a lot of products made by Simpson Strong Tie
http://www.strongtie.com/#
They build stuff to destroy and test the strengths of their products. They found that square washers are harder to pull through wood than round washers.
Are you going to grease the threads of your spokes, or use spoke prep, or leave them dry? I prefer to use grease, my friend Gravy, who builds a lot more wheels than I do uses spoke prep. I still prefer to use grease.

I was planning on using oil rather than grease. I don't have spoke prep on hand, and my 29er wheels that I beat to a pulp at every opportunity have held up well with little truing and no loosening using only oil.

Don't know if this helps but we used linseed oil as spoke prep back in the day. It is very economical and works great.

Linseed oil

I've built a number of wheels & have used boiled linseed oil, which is old school. I believe it acts as a lubricate when building the wheel & then dries & acts a bit like Loctite.

Back