Model Airplanes, Anyone?

This ad disappears when logged in

Rides4Fun

Finally riding a big boys bike
Feb 19, 2017
Front Royal, Virginia
1BCC1B0E-7940-481D-BBD3-D88AD5BA7397.jpeg
Just wondering if any fellow Cabers have any model airplanes that you have built and would like to show. This includes traditional stick-and-tissue, plastic, remote control, control line, etc. I’ll start off with a stick-and-tissue model of a Nesmith Cougar that I built...and look forward to your pics!

wrongway

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Apr 24, 2012
Pella, IA
If I thought I wouldn't crash and burn one I would! Years ago at a garage sale I bought a rather dilapidated balsa wood and fabric gas powered and string controlled one. I've often thought about restoring it and seeing what it could do.....

cyclingday

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 24, 2008
Costa Mesa, California. United States
I grew up building and flying model airplanes of all types.
I've still got a few models up in the attic.
I've also got a fair collection of unbuilt kits from the classic era, 1930-1980
It's really unfortunate that the kids these days will never know the joy of model building.
An iPhone shoot em up just doesn't cut it for me.
I'd rather work on something with some tools in my hands.

Rides4Fun

Feb 19, 2017
Front Royal, Virginia

rustystone2112

I live for the CABE
Feb 7, 2014
IRVINE CA.
Used to build balsa and tissue models with my dad for many years. One day in the early 80's while i was digging around in the attic i came across the used plans and the built up wing of this Fokker d8 that had been covered at one time and also damaged, my dad had built it either before i was born or when i was very young . That summer i took the tattered old used plans and the damaged wing, went into my dad's balsa wood stash and proceeded to build it all over again, even had to hand carve the nose cone with radial engine, the plastic one that came with the kit was long gone.
Fast forward about 15-20 years and i walk into my dad's office where this plane has just been hanging on the wall and i find him with his shaky 85 year old hands painting it, it looks like a child painted it but i don't care it's the last model my father and i both worked on together and i'll cherish it for the rest of my life.My father passed about a year and half later.

9+Se5tzTTpCt9OnWc+GP+Q.jpg

mstX0CotTdWKJidDV3q98g.jpg

ygvXZHFZQiG%x6L1hzwDIw.jpg

wrongway

Apr 24, 2012
Pella, IA
Used to build balsa and tissue models with my dad for many years. One day in the early 80's while i was digging around in the attic i came across the used plans and the built up wing of this Fokker d8 that had been covered at one time and also damaged, my dad had built it either before i was born or when i was very young . That summer i took the tattered old used plans and the damaged wing, went into my dad's balsa wood stash and proceeded to build it all over again, even had to hand carve the nose cone with radial engine, the plastic one that came with the kit was long gone.
Fast forward about 15-20 years and i walk into my dad's office where this plane has just been hanging on the wall and i find him with his shaky 85 year old hands painting it, it looks like a child painted it but i don't care it's the last model my father and i both worked on together and i'll cherish it for the rest of my life.My father passed about a year and half later.

View attachment 769518

View attachment 769519

View attachment 769520
This story made me smile and that plane is a thing of beauty! Precious Memories. Thanks for sharing.

Rides4Fun

Feb 19, 2017
Front Royal, Virginia
Cool plans Dave! I used to build those too when I was younger. Games didn't float my boat to much, I had to have something that worked. Love them!
That is a very nice array of planes that you have in your hangar! I love the lozenge pattern on your D-7 and hope to use it one day on a build.

wrongway

Apr 24, 2012
Pella, IA
View attachment 768791 Just wondering if any fellow Cabers have any model airplanes that you have built and would like to show. This includes traditional stick-and-tissue, plastic, remote control, control line, etc. I’ll start off with a stick-and-tissue model of a Nesmith Cougar that I built...and look forward to your pics!
Is this one gas powered?

Rides4Fun

Feb 19, 2017
Front Royal, Virginia
Is this one gas powered?
No, actually it is a rubber powered airplane, You can actually buy strips of rubber in varying widths to make a single or combination of rubber loops to power the airplane depending on how much power it needs and how much you want to use. I will post a link shortly that shows these types of models being flown in the event that you or others may not be familiar with them.

Rides4Fun

Feb 19, 2017
Front Royal, Virginia

View attachment 769518

View attachment 769519

View attachment 769520
What a beautiful memory and plane.... thank you for sharing it!

Rides4Fun

Feb 19, 2017
Front Royal, Virginia

For those that may have an interest, here’s a link that shows rubber powered airplane flying. There is an organization called The Flying Aces Club (FAC) that I belong to that supports and hosts events throughout the U.S. The FAC is made up of different “squadrons” throughout the Country that come together on occasion at different locations to compete in flying.

The flying is free flight and there are many different classes of airplanes that are flown in mass launch and other events to determine the “best pilot”. For example, WW1 event, WW2 event, pioneer (early) airplanes, etc. The main thing it is about though is just having fun and being a kid, even if you are not! Some of the events span several days.

If interested, look up the Flying Aces Club on Youtube and maybe type in “Flying Aces Club giant scale Rearwin Speedster” for cool clip of a handmade larger plane. There are multi-engine planes too! Hope you all enjoy!

Now let’s see some more model airplanes from Cabers!

http://www.flyingacesclub.com/

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
downtown Bulverde, Texas
my lifelong buddy Stevo and I were in a Jr High club together, flying control-line airplanes.
Even then, we would ride our banana bikes miles across northside to Dibbles Hobby to buy balsa and monocote.
Built and flew many from plans ordered from backs of flying model magazines, but my favorite by far was a BV-141b

lmuKPqn.jpg

jdHkvLE.jpg

wrongway

Apr 24, 2012
Pella, IA

For those that may have an interest, here’s a link that shows rubber powered airplane flying. There is an organization called The Flying Aces Club (FAC) that I belong to that supports and hosts events throughout the U.S. The FAC is made up of different “squadrons” throughout the Country that come together on occasion at different locations to compete in flying.

The flying is free flight and there are many different classes of airplanes that are flown in mass launch and other events to determine the “best pilot”. For example, WW1 event, WW2 event, pioneer (early) airplanes, etc. The main thing it is about though is just having fun and being a kid, even if you are not! Some of the events span several days.

If interested, look up the Flying Aces Club on Youtube and maybe type in “Flying Aces Club giant scale Rearwin Speedster” for cool clip of a handmade larger plane. There are multi-engine planes too! Hope you all enjoy!

Now let’s see some more model airplanes from Cabers!

http://www.flyingacesclub.com/
These are pretty interesting! I just might have to give one a try!

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$5489.00
eBay Auction Picture
$1600.00
eBay Auction Picture
$10.00
eBay Auction Picture
$24.99
eBay Auction Picture
$12.00
eBay Auction Picture