When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Model D ?s

-

skiptoofer22

Look Ma, No Hands!
I took apart the model d hub on my '39 DX to overhaul and figure out why it was binding so bad, and found that it was because the discs had become jammed together on the disc support sleeve from catching on the extruding oil port. This caused two edges of the disc support sleeve to become rounded off and I'm wondering if I should replace it because of this or continue to use it?

Also if this hub came with the alternating bronze and steel discs should I stick to that or could I use the all steel disc set?

Thanks, Trevor
20190122_192824.jpg

Replace it. They aren't that expensive or hard to find. I don't see why you couldn't replace them and use all steel. However, I do believe that they have to be an exact size. Talking thickness. You want to be extra meticulous when messing with that kind of thing. Also, clean the discs thoroughly. I can't tell you bow many times now I have taken apart rear hubs and seen quite literally decades of grease inside. The discs all stuck.

Replace it. They aren't that expensive or hard to find. I don't see why you couldn't replace them and use all steel. However, I do believe that they have to be an exact size. Talking thickness. You want to be extra meticulous when messing with that kind of thing. Also, clean the discs thoroughly. I can't tell you bow many times now I have taken apart rear hubs and seen quite literally decades of grease inside. The discs all stuck.

Ok I will probably just replace both because some of the key holes in the round discs are deformed as well as the teeth on the other ones are either bent or partially missing.

I know it probably doesn't make much of a difference, but I have both non detergent and detergent 30 weight oil and was also wondering which one might be more beneficial to use in these hubs.
Thanks, Trevor

Back