When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Model T of antique bikes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The 1901-07 curve dash Oldsmobile is often considered to be the first mass produced car. The Model T didn't really take off until after 1910, so even that isn't a TOC car. I'd even say that the Model T was a big reason there wasn't a "Model T" bicycle. Prior to Ford consolidating multiple ideas into the mature assembly line that built the T, most things were done by hand operation by cheap labor. Automation was not only in its infancy, but would have not made financial sense to a bicycle maker as the profits versus the cost weren't there without some kind of unprecedented volumes and the design itself didn't really leave a lot of options for the available automation to be employed to make high volumes for low-priced sales. However, none of that mattered because the assembly line and the efficiency that went with it was more or less brought to life for the T and then those cars were sold so cheaply that people figured they could buy a car instead of a few bicycles for the family. That shut the door on a cheap bicycle revolution.

Since a country wasn't referenced, I would like to nominate the venerable Raleigh DL1 Roadster. This style of bike was first produced in Nottingham, england by Raleigh in the 30's and had these common features: rod brakes, Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs (which Raleigh owned), Brooks saddles (which Raleigh also owned) 26" or 28" wheels with skinny but durable tires, narrow handlebars for navigating tight urban streets and sidewalks, relaxed frame geometry to deliver a comfortable ride, and on non-export models, a full chaincase cover. (Raleigh also owned Reynolds, a major producer of bicycle tubing.)
Export models had an abbreviated chainguard, which legend has it was needed to reduce weight to avoid a hefty tariff in the US. Like the model T, most were painted basic black. These models were in continuous production from the 30's into the 80's under Raleigh, but the same platform is made by the millions in China, India and Pakistan today. This is truly the ultimate world bike, not produced for kids, but for adults needing a cheap, reliable mode of transportation. These style bikes were rugged beyond belief, with a bulletproof, dependable and reliable 3 speed transmission, rod brakes; that, while offering less than steller stopping power, hardly ever need servicing save for changing the brake pads.

Raleigh ladies DL1 style bicycle from the 30's

Ad for 1940's mens bike with lights and front dynohub.

a Gazelle (a brand produced by Raleigh Industries Nottingham) from the 50's

Raleigh export Tourist from the 70's

Chinese Phoenix still produced today

Last edited:
Interesting article listing production output by manufacturer from June 8, 1899 issue of The Cycle Age and Trade Review. Western Wheel Works of Chicago is by far the largest single producer of bicycles at the time.

Since a country wasn't referenced, I would like to nominate the venerable Raleigh DL1 Roadster. This style of bike was first produced by Raleigh in the 30's and had these common features: rod brakes, Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs (which Raleigh owned), Brooks saddles (which Raleigh also owned) 26" or 28" wheels with skinny but durable tires, narrow handlebars for navigating tight urban streets and sidewalks, relaxed frame geometry to deliver a comfortable ride, and on non-export models, a full chaincase cover. (Raleigh also owned Reynolds, a major producer of bicycle tubing.)
Export models had an abbreviated chainguard, which legend has it was needed to reduce weight to avoid a hefty tariff in the US. Like the model T, most were painted basic black. These models were in continuous production from the 30's into the 80's under Raleigh, but the same platform is made by the millions in China, India and Pakistan today. This is truly the ultimate world bike, not produced for kids, but for adults needing a cheap, reliable mode of transportation. These style bikes were rugged beyond belief, with a bulletproof, dependable and reliable 3 speed transmission, rod brakes; that, while offering less than steller stopping power, hardly ever need servicing save for changing the brake pads.

Raleigh ladies DL1 style bicycle from the 30's
View attachment 1142380

Ad for 1940's mens bike with lights and front dynohub.
View attachment 1142381

a Gazelle (a brand produced by Raleigh Industries Nottingham) from the 50's
View attachment 1142384

Raleigh export Tourist from the 70's
View attachment 1142382

Chinese Phoenix still produced today
View attachment 1142383
This was a darn good answer. I wasn't really looking for English bikes but I didn't specify country of origin. There were a ton of these Raleigh bikes made - i can tell cause they are all over Craigslist.... Wouldn't be surprised to find one locally at a reasonable price. It's kind of good that US bikes were produced by several different manufacturers and that the market wasn't monopolized. It would have allowed for competition, innovations, and varying styles. It's funny how the The Honda Super Cub is the most-produced motor vehicle in history at over 100 million units. Still being made today. I have not seen a single one pop up on my local Craigslist. Guess they just don't have a market in the US for them.

Honda_super_cub,_1st_Gen._1958,_Left_side.jpg

I'd have to say Sears Napoleon and Josephine bikes also, I had like 4 of them. Or at least Sears sold bikes: Elgin King, Acme King, Napoleon, etc.

This was a darn good answer. I wasn't really looking for English bikes but I didn't specify country of origin. There were a ton of these Raleigh bikes made - i can tell cause they are all over Craigslist.... Wouldn't be surprised to find one locally at a reasonable price. It's kind of good that US bikes were produced by several different manufacturers and that the market wasn't monopolized. It would have allowed for competition, innovations, and varying styles. It's funny how the The Honda Super Cub is the most-produced motor vehicle in history at over 100 million units. Still being made today. I have not seen a single one pop up on my local Craigslist. Guess they just don't have a market in the US for them.

View attachment 1142443
Bunch of them around back in the day,They were run into the ground and the throwaways in their day

Wow that's an awesome catalog. Thanks for sharing Pierce!

Back