When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern day plastic

-
If I understand the problem, this is a plastic item that weeps a weird sticky substance on its surface. I actually DO have a fix for that, and it's going to sound a little strange. It's baking soda! Dusting the surface with that powder makes the stickiness...less sticky--then you can wipe it away. Other powders, like talcum, might work too, but baking soda is cheap, plentiful, and almost every kitchen has it already.

Also, if I understand correctly, is this a softer, rubbery type plastic? If so, I once had an old cell phone that sat in a drawers for years, and when I went to get some photos off of it, it was weeping a stickiness. I wiped it down with 70% rub alcohol, and it wiped away the stickiness. I am not sure though, if i actually wiped off just the stickiness, or an actual layer off of the plastic, because the residue that came off onto the paper towel was black like the phone. The phone looked okay afterwards. I also had an older electric razor that did a similar thing, and upon wiping it with the rub alcohol, the stickiness was removed, so that may be something to try.

If I understand the problem, this is a plastic item that weeps a weird sticky substance on its surface. I actually DO have a fix for that, and it's going to sound a little strange. It's baking soda! Dusting the surface with that powder makes the stickiness...less sticky--then you can wipe it away. Other powders, like talcum, might work too, but baking soda is cheap, plentiful, and almost every kitchen has it already.
Thanks
My girl and myself are moving and she had some plastic items in a lower shelf that developed this stickiness all over . I’ll try it
Much appreciated

My Son years ago bought a large box of ink pens with company info on them and a soft grip in the bottom to pass out to his customers and at the trade shows. All the plastic/vinyl finger grips ended up getting sticky/gummy after quite a few years. We used Isopropyl alcohol (in a spray bottle) to clean them up.

I have seen this happen, especially when left in a car in hot weather.
Remember, plastics are petroleum-based and will break down over time.
From wikipedia:
"Recent studies have shown, however, that plastics decompose faster than had been previously thought, due to exposure to the sun, rain, and other environmental conditions, resulting in the release of toxic chemicals such as bisphenol A."

Back