When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern tubular tires.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I am neither a salesman for nor part owner of flexseal...........however it works okay for this purpose.
20230428_001234.jpg

20230428_001241.jpg

20230428_001205.jpg

20230428_001214.jpg

I actually just tried coating an entire tire.
Probably won't even mind the look when the tread wears back to black.
Used 1 1/2 cans.

Since we are on the topic of creating illusions, a presta valve on my TOC wheelset just didn't sit well with me so I came up with a quick fix (though I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's been done already) to make it look somewhat like a Schrader.

Measure your presta outside diameter and buy some hobby or whatever tubing trying to match the OD of a Schrader valve as close as possible. I did this a few years ago but could not find threaded and/or nickel plated so settled for brass. Shallow fake threads could be cut by the machinist.

Insert a presta cap up inside your vintage Schrader cap and trim as needed until it fits length and diameter. Super glue it in place.

I used a base plate to keep the tube from going up against the base of the tire. The rim valve hole was very large so in this case the base plate was kind of necessary.

The tube has to be cut at a length that will provide good pressure when the cap is placed and to keep it all snug.
20230428_200713.jpg

20230428_200806.jpg

20230428_200937.jpg

20230428_201013.jpg

Last edited:
After "aging" on the white ones....this thread has me back on the tubular modifying kick....can't wait to get the white ones on a rider, and get the new wide ones done up.....probably gonna have to fake up the stems too....great idea and look.
The Idea of complete painting of tubulars with flex seal colors had occurred to me a while back, but I figured it was stupid.
We'll see how these work out.

20230429_021407.jpg

20230429_021348.jpg

20230429_021335.jpg

After "aging" on the white ones....this thread has me back on the tubular modifying kick....can't wait to get the white ones on a rider, and get the new wide ones done up.....probably gonna have to fake up the stems too....great idea and look.
The Idea of complete painting of tubulars with flex seal colors had occurred to me a while back, but I figured it was stupid.

View attachment 1829096

View attachment 1829097

View attachment 1829098
The aged tire almost looks like flex seal's almond color.

View attachment 1829096

View attachment 1829097

View attachment 1829098
BTW, I do own the patent on the mock Schrader valve. Rights to duplication available for a modest fee.

This video is 7 years old but this flex seal spray comes in other colors too. This may solve my quest for a red Victor tire. I have some black and tan 38 mm Dugast cyclocross tires that I may sacrifice for this experiment.
Sad news folks. I was planning on converting a no longer used Fisher Price plastic wagon to a garden caddy using a John Deere color scheme. Sorry to report the yellow spray is no longer available. Guess the hub caps will have to stay white.

Back